Physician scientist (non-PhD) programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldNeuroDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm finishing up a PhD and will be applying to med school next year. A friend pointed me to the physician scientist MD program at Pitt, which covers med school tuition in exchange for a 5th year of research (it's non-PhD granting)... basically a great program/great deal for someone in my shoes.

What other schools have programs like this? Anyone out there in one of these programs? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that's an outrageously good deal! My school (Baylor) has something similar, but it doesn't cover full med school tuition and only gives you a grad student's stipend for that one year. UT Southwestern, at least, has something similar, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that do that.

Since this isn't really a topic that's specific to a single school, I'm going to move this out into the main Pre-Allopathic forum so that hopefully you can get some more responses :)

CCLCM is an entire school like that-- It's five years, research focused, full-tuition covered for all five years. TSRI is also opening up a new school focused on research, but I don't know about the financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All-

I'm finishing up a PhD and will be applying to med school next year. A friend pointed me to the physician scientist MD program at Pitt, which covers med school tuition in exchange for a 5th year of research (it's non-PhD granting)... basically a great program/great deal for someone in my shoes.

What other schools have programs like this? Anyone out there in one of these programs? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks much!
You should definitely look into CCLCM. It's the research MD track at Case Western: five years, tuition-free. Lots of people with grad degrees apply and matriculate here. There was one PhD in the class that just graduated, two in my class, two in the class behind mine, and one in the first year class. Probably around 1/4 of my class has MS degrees. Even the people without grad degrees have significant research experience. It's a pre-req for applying to this program.

I'm not sure what thoughts of mine you want to hear, but feel free to post or PM me if you have specific questions. I'm a fourth year, so I can probably tell you most things you want to know about the program. I've also written quite a bit about my first two years and half of my third year in my blog, which you can link to in my signature. The rest of third year is coming soon....

Thanks for the info everyone.. I really appreciate it :)
Just looked at CCLCM's website and CCLCMer's blog - looks incredible. I'll definitely be applying there.