Physicians advertising (legal question)?

Started by Lokhtar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This is an off topic question that a friend asked and I didn't know but I am not sure where to ask (I'll ask in the allopathic forum too if no one answers here):

If someone has a Doctor of Optometry degree, in most states, if they advertise (or have any written communications), they have to say: Dr. X, O.D. Basically, they cannot say Dr. X without putting the word O.D. behind their name. Is this the same for M.D., D.O. and other degrees?

I have read the regulations you refer to. If I remember right, both MD/DO can go by doctor alone. All others must either use the degree initials and in some places can't even use the word "doctor". Hope that helps.