Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What made you choose the career path of medicine (any healthcare field)? Are you happy with the decision you made?

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from all of the generic reasons you can think of, it's a respectable profession with great job security and opportunity. I work as a hospitalist, and I love my job day in and day out. I also work 7 days and then I get 7 days off, sometimes 10. You always see new interesting cases and I get to go to bed every night with a sense of accomplishment and purpose. Finally, I'd like to think that when I'm older and reflect on my life, I'll be happy because I didn't spend my life chasing a zero sum gain(argue that how you wish in terms of admitting gomers).

Reactions: 4 users
Because my brain is wired for the type of thinking a physician does. Plus all the generic reasons of liking biology, wanting to work with people and have an impact on their lives, and job security, plus the flexibility of what I could do in my career (clinic work, teaching, research, industry, etc).

I don't regret it 7.5 years into the process and still like going to work each day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Intellectually interesting, some degree of unpredictability (particularly in psychiaty) which keeps things interesting, opportunity to practice with a relatively high degree of autonomy, get to use my brain in potentially complicated situations to make decisions, working to make a meaningful difference in someone’s life...

I love my work.

Because I like to spend 10 years of my 20s studying intensely and taking tests on tests on tests. Just kidding. I think it would be a good career when I start practicing, I will let you know in 10 years.

Knowing I made a difference in someones life and helping them continue back on the road they were heading down.

I, too, remember having to write my personal statement.