Physics 2, Biochem, and Prepping for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. A year from now (next spring) when I'm a junior, I plan to take physics 2, biochem, and prep for the MCAT. These are my final two prereqs. My plan is to start prep in January with a course that meets twice a week, and study until the exam in April/May. Has anyone done this? Is it manageable/doable? I don't want to take a year off and this seems to be the only option I have.

Members don't see this ad.

My best friend is taking biochem and physics 2 right now as well a studying for the MCAT. It isn't bad according to him if you are very disciplined with your study.

It really depends what the rest of your courses look like. My roommate is currently trying to balance a Kaplan MCAT course with a pretty heavy workload and I know he just can't do all of the assignments they expect of him. If you plan on taking a prep class then make sure you have the time to commit because they are very expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the course. I work for one of the big companies, and we expect students put in several hours of work per meeting to prepare, plus additional content prep.

Of course, you could join the 90% of students taking MCAT courses who don't do most of the assigned work...

Where do you go to school? How hard are then classes? How well do you know the rest of the MCAT subjects? How quickly do you pick up new material?

These are all factors we do not know and thus cannot be of much help to you.

I took the MCAT at the end of winter break last year. I began reviewing over the summer and didn't pick up MCAT studying again until finals were over in mid-December. However, what a lot of people seem to forget is that taking Biochem and Physics 2 IS studying for the MCAT . . . sort of. It is allowing you to take a good look at content that will be tested on the MCAT; this should count for something, right? I had Physics 2 and Physiology the semester before my MCAT and I believe that helped me a lot actually.

In terms of diligence required, I had winter break to fall back on, but you won't-- be disciplined. Your review course should help with that.

Any other questions/clarification, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Best of luck!

2 classes and studying for the MCAT is definitely reasonable, if that's all the classes you're taking

I'd like to bump this thread as I'm getting closer to the start of my prep (January...I know it's still far away) and I've just registered for the May 20th MCAT. For some background, these are my last two prereqs to finish (which I'll be taking during my prep next semester). I'm a student at Tufts, and outside of school I do research at Harvard. Some more advice would me awesome!

Would be preparing for the MCAT starting freshman year of undergrad be overkill? What would be the repercussions to this decision?

Would be preparing for the MCAT starting freshman year of undergrad be overkill? What would be the repercussions to this decision?

I'm going to guess that you're going to get a lot of chill out responses (and probably Goro's Xanax), but I understand your concern. Prepping your first year is definitely going to be a bit overkill and you're likely going to get tired of studying really quickly.

It's college - make friends, get involved, and get good grades. My biggest regret is that I didn't get involved in more things my first year, both for fun and to build a strong resume. You won't know a lot of what's on the MCAT now anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
This was my schedule last year. It helped me on my MCAT.