Physics 2 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelnb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken Physics 1 and I got an A- in it though. It was my hardest science class. I thought it was harder than orgo. I feel that the way I studied wasn't an efficient way of studying. I'd review concepts more than practice problems, while my roommate practiced problems more than reviewed the concepts in the book and he actually got an A. Towards the end of the course, we got into sound waves and quantum mechanics and while I didn't really grasp the concepts like with the depth that I grasp chemistry concepts, I could look at the equations that were given and scrap my way to the right answer. My question is: is this how Physics 2 will be? Are you guys similar to me? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

People say physics 2 is harder than 1, but I thought it was about the same. Physics 2 deals with electrons, charges, electromagnetism, and mostly theoretical stuff (not, like throwing a ball and measuring stuff about it, but dealing with abstract things you'll never really see).

It's not that different, so don't worry about it much.

Do practice problems. Understanding the concept is fine, but physics problems have a way of throwing in twists that you won't be prepared for if you just study the basic concepts.

I personally found the second semester of physics much easier than the first semester; it may be the same for you. It tends to be a lot more conceptual and abstract than the first semester, so you'll be better off just understanding the concepts here than just pure memorization of equations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken Physics 1 and I got an A- in it though. It was my hardest science class. I thought it was harder than orgo. I feel that the way I studied wasn't an efficient way of studying. I'd review concepts more than practice problems, while my roommate practiced problems more than reviewed the concepts in the book and he actually got an A. Towards the end of the course, we got into sound waves and quantum mechanics and while I didn't really grasp the concepts like with the depth that I grasp chemistry concepts, I could look at the equations that were given and scrap my way to the right answer. My question is: is this how Physics 2 will be? Are you guys similar to me? Any advice?
I don't know what you mean by Physics 1. Is that calculus based? Yes, physics is the hardest course because it requires you to think the most. I wouldn't even compare it to OChem. Advanced level physics is actually going to be more difficult for you if you haven't understood the concepts. All the next levels will heavily rely on the first course you took. And yes, actually doing as many problems as you can is the best way to prepare yourself for different problems, but you should try to understand the main theme first. This is not one of those subjects where you can succeed by memorizing a few techniques. Each problem is very unique, especially if you get to the quantum mechanics and relativity levels. For me optics was more difficult because it required a lot of trig knowledge. Reviewing math is pretty important.

I was fine all the way through oscillations. I thought forces were really easy. I got into trouble with sound waves, quantum mechanics, and actually getting a grasp of the concepts.

I could solve the problems in those areas though just because I knew what variables the equations contained and I basically manipulated variables, equations, etc... to arrive at an answer.

But I defiantly had to scrap to get a grasp of physics unlike chemistry. Is chemistry generally an easier subject that physics?

People say physics 2 is harder than 1, but I thought it was about the same. Physics 2 deals with electrons, charges, electromagnetism, and mostly theoretical stuff (not, like throwing a ball and measuring stuff about it, but dealing with abstract things you'll never really see).

It's not that different, so don't worry about it much.

I had the same experience, the level wasn't really harder, but the material was tough to visualize which sometimes made it seem tougher, electromagnetic wave direction and light traveling through binoculars, no thanks!

Pulled an A in this class by doing massive amounts of practice problems until everything seemed fairly familiar - like 2x or 3x the number of problems that were assigned. I think physics 1 and physics 2 were my most study time intensive premed classes among 12+ taken.

I had the same experience, the level wasn't really harder, but the material was tough to visualize which sometimes made it seem tougher, electromagnetic wave direction and light traveling through binoculars, no thanks!

Pulled an A in this class by doing massive amounts of practice problems until everything seemed fairly familiar - like 2x or 3x the number of problems that were assigned. I think physics 1 and physics 2 were my most study time intensive premed classes among 12+ taken.

Same here. Did all the odd numbered (the ones with answers in the back) practice problems for the chapters we covered.

Also used the online resources, which helped b/c it has animations to help you visualize abstract concepts... Surprisingly, although the website was free and didn't require any signup or anything, hardly anyone in my physics class knew about it when I mentioned it. They were like, "There's a website?"

Oh, I've done most of the physics II reading. I think I like it better than physics I, its all the cool stuff they talk about on NOVA!! (Superconductors, magnetism, some quantum phys. concepts, and the like) But this is coming from someone who stayed up until 2 or 3 AM watching "The Conquest of Cold" haha.

What worked for me was deriving the formulas myself. Just like in calc 2, if i could convince myself that it really did make sense mathematically, the rest just fell in place.

Everyone is different, but I'd experiment till you figure it out. Learning how to learn is tough, but worth the time.

try and find out from your professor how to approach studying, or those who have aced the course with the same professor.

Going against others here I felt that second semester was a bit tougher than the first. Its all electromagnetism and stuff which to me seemed more abstract than first semester. With first semester you could actually visualizes balls rolling down hills, objects colliding, springs creating force. I just felt visualizing magnetic fields and electric fields, how they interact with each other etc was a bit harder. But definitely speak with people who have excelled in the class before you and ask for tips.

Haha, who knew so many people are worked up about Physics 2?

I'm doing some prep-work for Physics 2, just going through the chapters, taking some notes, and doing a few examples within the chapter itself. I think the class will be considerably easier after having seen the material once already.

Good luck!

Honestly, one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. The subjects were very difficult, and the short answer questions were SO ROUGH. Class averages on all exams were around 40% (and he gives out free points for attempts as well!).

Though, I got a 62% on the final exam worth 35% of my grade, and still got an A- ;) .

MUCH harder than physics I.

Physics 2 required a lot of work- I think the key was to work a ton of problems- being able to recognize and equation needed and rearrange it is vital to success...

I got an A in Physics 1 with almost no studying but in Physics 2 I worked very hard and got a B- in my defense I took the final on narcotic pain meds (a week before I was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery) and made a 40-something. That dropped my grade from a mid A to a high B. O well

Good luck!

I thought the material in physics I was easier than II, but I think physics is one of those subjects that can be really easy or really hard depending on what your professor expects of you. I got an A+ without studying in physics I because the tests were all plugging numbers into formulas. My physics II professor expected A LOT more from us. We had to do a lot of really complex derivations on the tests and there was no way to get a good grade without having superb problem-solving skills (in addition of course to a great understanding of the physics concepts).

In other words, I second those who have said you should talk to people who have taken the class from the professor.

Its physics... so of course!

But it shouldn't be anything you can't handle
Well you see...I have never had any trig (my classes got all messed up bc I went to a different school every year - long story) and have had to teach myself as I go. I know a tiny bit from Calc and Physics I, but I got a B rather than an A in Physics I, partly because physics is hard for me,and partly because of the trig involved. It blows my mind completely. Like...trying to teach rocket science to a 2yo. I am terrible at it. What kind of Trig is involved? (I imagine some Sin Cos curves and stuff with waves?. what else?)