physics and math in optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-dent, but I was just wondering, is there a lot of physics and math in optometry school courses? If there is, what happens if a student is not good at physics and/or math? Can they still complete the program? I recently found out that one of the dental school courses has physics and that was tough news to take in.

Members don't see this ad.

that depends on your definition of physics.

Optics is ALL math... and some physics. And, you have to take four semesters of it

What kind of math is there in optics? Is it calculus, linear algebra, geometry? Is it difficult math? Tell me some courses that it's equivalent to, or similar to, in undergraduate courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Optics is a part of physics. A lot of undergraduate physics courses do not ever get to it because it is usuall the last chapter in the text book.

Basically optics is how to numerically determine what will happen to light when passing through different medias. There can be a lot of formulas to memorize if you want to do optics that way, but there are ways around it. You can do almost any optics problem relating to ophthalmic lenses or mirrirs by what is called "surface-to-surface." Instead of memorizing the entire equation that took calculus to derive, just determine what will happen to light as it hits each surface of the media. That way all you really need to know is how to divide the media density over the linear distance or dioptric power.

The prof. at my school teaches us how to do every problem at least 3 ways: Surface-to-surface, formula, and just estimation. Most of our class can do most of an optics exam without a calculator because we know what "should" happen so only one answer makes sense. If you think about it, that is probably the best way because when doing an exam you are not going to pull out your calcualtor and figure out what lens you need, you need to know what lenses will do to light and apply that clinically.

But to answer your main question, optics involves calculus, linear algebra, trig, and geometry.

I hope that made sence, I think I may have just rambled.

So you're saying you can do optics without doing calculations, just by estimation? In what way is calculus, linear algebra, geometry and trig used then? I don't know anything about optics, so I apologize for not understanding what you meant.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you're weak at calculus or linear algebra then optometry school is not for you, or at least that's what I was led to believe. Is that true?
I'm not a big fan of calculus, algebra, or physics, that's one reason, albeit a small one, why I chose dentistry over optometry. I like drilling teeth, or at least I enjoy watching it, so I bet I'll have fun doing it! :clap:

I think in the last 10-15 years, optometry schools have begun emphasizing the more clinical and pathological aspects of optometry over the optics portion. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the technology of opticianry and lens design have come such a long way since the early days of the profession. Since lenses can be designed and produced by computer, the "art" of manual lens creation has become less important that it once was, making an encyclopedic knowlege of optics likewise less critical. It's still important to understand the basic principles and to be able to make estimations the way that rpames says, though, because as an optometrist you'll still run into patients that have some wacky aberrational problems with their lenses, just not as many as might have cropped up 20 years ago.

That said, the optics we're being taught right now is based on a lot of crazy calculus-based physics, but the formulas we deal with are the more simplified and practical ones. It definitely helps to be good with math, but for the most part it's *practical* math -- i.e. you have some lens that's in some particular viewing condition where you have to find the image, for example -- so it's something you can wrap your head around. Not like my entire semester of Linear Algebra. :rolleyes: ;)

r_salis, so basically the optics you learn is tough calculus based physics? Then I made a good choice, that stuff is too difficult for me.

Actually, I'd say that on balance most of the optics you tend to do is algebra based, rather than being calculus based, and quite often you'll use formulae that are algebraic approximations of integrations etc..

MPS, well that's not much better, I don't like algebra either. Is it possible to do well in the optometry program if you dislike and are not the best at calculus, physics and algebra? Is it only four courses of optics and math? What about contact lens courses, aren't those math and physics based?
The only two professions I ever considered were dentistry and optometry, and by knowing that the optometry curriculum has a substantial amount of difficult physics, calculus, and algebra, and knowing that I would most likely not do well in those optometry courses makes my decision to pursue dentistry all the better. My interest and strength lies in biological science, including anatomy, physiology etc, not physics and calculus. I know optometry is mostly biology based, but knowing that there are those courses I may do poorly in like optics would make for a difficult time completing optometry school.
I do respect optometry and all optometrists and optometry students though, good luck to everyone pursuing optometry, maybe I'll be drilling your teeth one day :D

During the 1st year at OSU, optics is basically the "blow off course" each quarter since the other classes are so much harder (even though optics is not easy). I'm not particularly fond of physics myself, but it wasn't that bad. I guess it depends on who teaches it though- the OSU optics professors were very good.

Originally posted by MPS
Actually, I'd say that on balance most of the optics you tend to do is algebra based, rather than being calculus based, and quite often you'll use formulae that are algebraic approximations of integrations etc..
This was what I was trying to say in my earlier post. ;)

optics at UHCO is rough... but it is one of the easier classes first year. (for someone who's good at math) I know many people weak in math who struggled with optics.. but if you ask for help the profs are more than willing to help you out. There are also student tutors.

UHCO has a very strong four semester optics program and the students do very well on boards. (In which optics is 1/4 of part one)

It is mostly algebra and geometry.

just a little side note here; b/c there is some talk on Dentistry and Optometry on this forum...

I remember when I went to interview at PCO, they asked me if I haver ever taken the DAT (for dental school) I have not, but if I had, I dont think it would look very favorable. Taking both the OAT and DAT makes you look like you are "unsure" about what you want to do.......make sure you are certain on studying dentristry if that is what you want to do, b/c if you take any other exams besides the OAT, they might ask you about it ok.....

also,
can someone tell me how to get that "quote" thing in my reply messages......

like, how do you all get that "quote" up there on the forum, do you just copy and past....? what buttons do i click?:confused:

Originally posted by anothertony
what buttons do i click?:confused:

on the bottom right of everyone's post there should be a few buttons: Profile, PM, search, buddy & on the far right you should see EDIT, QUOTE. click quote, that should work.

lets see here......:idea:

uuh,
its not working, should i be under enhanced mode or normal mode?

Im getting this "script prompt" under normal mode.....

+pissed+

Originally posted by anothertony
uuh,
its not working, should i be under enhanced mode or normal mode?

Im getting this "script prompt" under normal mode.....

+pissed+

uhhh, try both? :scared: