Physics and the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowpens

Runs off Coffee
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the physics sequence last year, and did well. The concepts and word problems were not hard for me. The issue now is that we never had to memorize a single equation. We were actually allowed a full page, front and back, of whatever notes we wanted for each exam.

All of the books stress, "Understanding the equations, not just memorizing them." I am really having an issue with this when it comes to equations like kinematics... I easily mix them up in my head and I don't know calculus so I can't derive them on the spot (which would take a while even if I could do it!) I've just begun studying for a May MCAT a week ago and am only 3 chapters into my first topic, already a little overwhelmed with the memorization. I'll be running into the same issue with gen chem, as we had cheat sheets in that class, too.

Tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the physics sequence last year, and did well. The concepts and word problems were not hard for me. The issue now is that we never had to memorize a single equation. We were actually allowed a full page, front and back, of whatever notes we wanted for each exam.

All of the books stress, "Understanding the equations, not just memorizing them." I am really having an issue with this when it comes to equations like kinematics... I easily mix them up in my head and I don't know calculus so I can't derive them on the spot (which would take a while even if I could do it!) I've just begun studying for a May MCAT a week ago and am only 3 chapters into my first topic, already a little overwhelmed with the memorization. I'll be running into the same issue with gen chem, as we had cheat sheets in that class, too.

Tips?

Index cards.

You're not really responsible for knowing ALL the equations, not knowing one of the more complicated ones may cost you a question on the MCAT, but in all likelihood you'll only be expected to know the more common ones. But you should know small things like in Poiseulle's Law that the radius gets raised to the 4th power, and what effect that has on flow rate.

The most complicated formulas I felt I was responsible to have memorized were Fgrav = GMm/r2 and Bernoulli's Principle

Ok.. so I am using the Kaplan books to study at home (no actual course.) They say you need to memorize all of the equations presented in each chapter.

So to bring it back to the example of the kinematics equations, is this something you felt like you needed to know? These 2 I am constantly mixing up... (delta X= (initial V x t) + (at^2/2) v. v^2= initial V^2 + (2a x delta X)..)

Ok.. so I am using the Kaplan books to study at home (no actual course.) They say you need to memorize all of the equations presented in each chapter.

So to bring it back to the example of the kinematics equations, is this something you felt like you needed to know? These 2 I am constantly mixing up... (delta X= (initial V x t) + (at^2/2) v. v^2= initial V^2 + (2a x delta X)..)

Yes, absolutely! You need to know the 'big 4'. Those are some of the most important formulas for you to know because they have applications elsewhere. Try using different variables or writing them a different way, sometimes that helps.

Anything that gets used repeatedly in practice questions are must know, you will see all 4 of those used constantly. I memorized them by writing all 4 out every time I got a question that required one of them. Not only was that helpful for memorizing, but I found that writing them all out helped me pick which one I should use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea.. thanks! I have tried writing them out several times but tend to forget them pretty quickly. I'll have to review them everyday until they are solidified. I keep mixing up the second half of each one.

Thanks for the advice!

Tips?

My suggestion is go a second round (or 3rd or 4th) and understand the equation and concept. I know this is very vague, but really. Not just think about it, dissect it. See, since equations are a window into real life phenomena, they tell us this little story and that is where you come in. I am by no means an expert, and i thought i understood the concepts. I found out I didn't know them as well as I thought. Manipulate the equations to get to the other equations (don't need calculus), for instance, think about why is the second part of an equation +1/2 at^2...what is that telling you? what is the first part telling you? when (what conditions) are all those valid? I believe that when you truly understand the concept, the equation becomes second nature...My take on it.
Like I said I'm no expert, but THAT did help me.
I like this website:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Last edited:
Great website! The non-calculus derivations for kinematics are really useful.
It's interesting because my boyfriend has a physics degree but he could not help me at all with this memorization / understanding issue because he just goes instantly to calculus.