Physics: Calc. or algebra-based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hate2feel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I remember someone asked this question a little while ago, but I can't seem to find the thread when searching the forums. I believe general answers to this question were that we can take algebra-based physics, but I just wanted to double check because my undergrad. offers both and it'd be much lighter on my schedule to take the algebra-based option; calc-based physics is broken up into a series or 2-4 credits, which total 12, while algebra-based physics is broken into two 4 credit courses. Thanks in advance for any responses!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hate2feel said:
Hi everyone,
I remember someone asked this question a little while ago, but I can't seem to find the thread when searching the forums. I believe general answers to this question were that we can take algebra-based physics, but I just wanted to double check because my undergrad. offers both and it'd be much lighter on my schedule to take the algebra-based option; calc-based physics is broken up into a series or 2-4 credits, which total 12, while algebra-based physics is broken into two 4 credit courses. Thanks in advance for any responses!!! :)

I used to have the same question. I found out that some schools want a year long course in physics, regard less of the units or type, and for other schools you are okay as long you meet the unit requirement. You could call up some dental schools and ask them.

hate2feel said:
Hi everyone,
I took algebra based physics. Didn't stop me from getting in. Physics is about problem-solving though. Algebra or calculus, still a physics problem. I made sure I took calculus 1 and 2 though. Just in case they change the policy, so I can take physics with calculus and have the calculus background.

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible, take the calc based physics just because it's easier to solve physics problems with calculus than algebra. If you are comfortable with calculus, I would reccomend it to you. In terms of the dental schools, I'm pretty sure they don't care which one you take, but people will look at calc based physics as a tougher course, even though in reality, if you are comfortable with calculus, it is easier. Those are my two cents on this topic.

boree said:
If possible, take the calc based physics just because it's easier to solve physics problems with calculus than algebra. If you are comfortable with calculus, I would reccomend it to you. In terms of the dental schools, I'm pretty sure they don't care which one you take, but people will look at calc based physics as a tougher course, even though in reality, if you are comfortable with calculus, it is easier. Those are my two cents on this topic.
This is very true. A lot less formulas to memorize too when taking calc based as most can be derived from much simpler formulas.

hate2feel said:
Hi everyone,

If you are good at math take Calc based becasue in my opinion it is much easier than the algebra one. I took calc based one and when I was tutoring for algebra based one, most people can't derive one formula and they memorize it and that will make the class really hard.

Mustt Mustt said:
If you are good at math take Calc based becasue in my opinion it is much easier than the algebra one. I took calc based one and when I was tutoring for algebra based one, most people can't derive one formula and they memorize it and that will make the class really hard.

It does not matter which one you take. I recommend taking the algebra based one regardless of how good at math/calculus you are. It will still be the easier one. I took the algebra based one and have been accepted multiple places.

Check with your major requirements. I am a Bio major and it requires that I take Calc based physics.

I highly recommend Calc-based since

1. You will learn much more.
2. Physics was made for calculus or vice versa.
3. It really is not any harder than Algebra-based.
4. Less memorization!!!!

Based on what everyone here is saying and what I've heard from my pre-allied health advisor...it really doesnt matter which physics you take

so this is how I interpreted that: if you like physics or are good at it, take the calc one. if you can't stand physics and don't understand wtf projectile motion has to do with ANYTHING other than building rockets..take the easier one..

some ppl here are saying that its easier with calc, i took physics with algebra and the class was a joke

I personally, don't like physics that much. I mean it was great to understand why planes fly and curveballs curve, but its not my favorite subject. Although I am pretty good at math, including calc, I decided to take the Algebra based.

It's easier and it fills the requirement for the dental schools and med schools. So why stress yourself more than you need to.

The algebra based physics was good enough for me to do well on the DAT (though there is no specific pysics section) and got an 11 on the physics scince section on the MCAT.

Thanks for all the responses...I really appreciate the help!!! As a Bio major at my undergrad, I have the option of taking either. I've already taken calculus 1 and 2 (which, btw, I hated more than anything in my entire life, lol). If it really doesn't matter, I think I might end up taking algebra-based physics instead of calc-based because calc-based is an additional 4 credits --- algebra = 8, calc = 12.

P.S. I totally agree with you howui3..."So why stress yourself more than you need to." :laugh: