Physics class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope school is going well for everyone!!
I need advice.
I am having such a hard time in physics class. It is killing me and I am afraid of getting a C in the class. It will really lower my science GPA right???
I can't drop it, so I have to stick with it. Any tips you may have would greatly be appreciated.
Have any of you gotten C's in Physics. That class sucks, and my professor sucks as well.
I am having such a tough time. What should I do. If I get a C in it, will it ruin my chances for med school?? Thanks guys, I would really appreciate any feedback!!!:clap: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It wont ruin your chances at getting into medical school. It will take a hit at your GPA, but you can definitely make that up with other classes (especially if you're a science major).

And if you score well on the physical sciences section of the MCAT, they might not really care at all.

Just keep on studying, its hard and it seems hopeless, but there are a ton of people who are probably having difficulty with it if you are. Most schools have academic tutoring programs that might be of use to you as well.

Good luck!

Originally posted by futuremd11
I need advice.
I am having such a hard time in physics class. It is killing me and I am afraid of getting a C in the class. It will really lower my science GPA right???
I can't drop it, so I have to stick with it. Any tips you may have would greatly be appreciated.
Have any of you gotten C's in Physics. That class sucks, and my professor sucks as well.
I am having such a tough time. What should I do. If I get a C in it, will it ruin my chances for med school?? Thanks guys, I would really appreciate any feedback!!!:clap: :confused:

thanks for your comment!:)
Was physcis hard for any of you?
Rumor has it that Physics professors just do not know how to teach. is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your comment!:)
Was physcis hard for any of you?
Rumor has it that Physics professors just do not know how to teach. is that true?

I havent heard of any good intro physics profs from premed friends, but I assume like in most subjects that the profs get better as you take more upper division courses.

I was very lucky to have taken the Physics C AP and the placement test from the university. The physics course here sucks as well, and prevents you from taking anything else interesting by eating up a HUGE block of your schedule.

And it turns out the physics on the MCAT is a lot easier than that taught.
If you are having trouble now, dont worry, there is a good chance you can pull out a really hight PS score on MCAT as long as you work at it.

Physics was very hard for me, and I actually got a C for the second semester. Like others said, if this is your only C in the sciences, it shouldn't affect your GPA too much.

Maybe not that they don't know how to teach, but I do think that physics is a subject difficult to teach because you can't teach problem solving skills. The only way to learn problem solving skills is to do tons of practice problems on your own. This is reflected by the amount of practice probs profs assign for homework. Also, it is up to you to make the effort to understand why some problems are difficult for you. Your prof can tell you the answer and how they derived it, but that doesn't mean you'll actually "get it." (I sure didn't half the time) If you do have a lot of trouble, see your prof one-on-one during office hours or a physics grad student.

Good luck, futuremd11! Just think that it'll be over soon!

I took physics(without calc) at a community college and had a lot of fun with it. the instructor really liked to teach and had great grading policies(drop lowest test and lab and replace with best as long as you had perfect attendance). I got a's all 3 quarters. reviewing trig really helped a lot as it plays into most vector equations. good luck-e

I got a an A and C in physics courses (calc based) and got interviews everywhere I applied. Just do lots of problems and see your prof. I also hear that physics profs will take into account the amount of effort you put into the course. So work hard and talk to your prof.
Best of luck

I've been lucky enough to have an incredible physics teacher in high school, and an awesome physics prof in college. Why would you make such a sweeping generalization?

I need advice.

I am in the exact situation as u, so I know how u feel, I am dreading the C, but hey as long as it's over, yes.

Keep studying and don't give up, I'm not:clap:

I'm in the same boat too, taking Physics 2 and struggling with a teacher who cannot teach. The lab has been horrible also. My only advice, which someone else posted, is to do tons and tons of problems. Since I got to a large university there are also grad students who will tutor you for about $10/hr and I have found that meeting with someone once a week to go over problems has helped. The second semester has definitely been harder for me and I barely am getting a B, but the more problems I do, the better my test scores are getting. I can't wait for this class to be over and I'm going to do lots of review for the physical sciences part of the MCAT. Good luck... I feel your pain.

As many Dukies can probably agree out there...Duke physics has to rank among the worst of any physics depts. in the country. The professor lecturing doesn't even write the freakin' exams. It's some old dude that's retired, has not been to any of the lectures, that just sits at his desk and writes the exams without regards to the lecturers and lab TAs...very horrible teaching.