This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakedbread000

Reaction score
I'm currently a student in a post-baccalaureate program to finish up prerequisites I haven't taken before. In my undergrad years, I took both the lecture component of Physics 1 and 2 online where exams were proctored in person but the lectures were all online. This was all done pre-pandemic. I realized as I got acclimated with the process that a lot of medical schools won't accept online coursework, especially online coursework taken before the pandemic.

The Physics classes I took were separate from the labs that counted as separate courses. I never took the labs at my undergrad institution. I'm currently enrolled in Physics 1 in my post-bacc program that does have the lab component built-in with the class. I plan on taking Physics 2 here as well that also has the lab component built in.

I have concerns doing this. I did well in my Physics classes in undergrad and it was calculus-based. My post-baccalaureate program only offers Algebra-based physics. Would this be seen negatively in the eyes of the Adcoms, the switch from calculus-based to algebra-based? In addition, would me retaking classes I did well in be frowned upon as well? Would the Adcoms understand the Physics classes I took in undergrad were online classes and the ones I took in my program were in-person?

Thanks for any advice anyone can throw my way! Tagging @Goro and @gonnif too to see if you guys might have any insight into my situation

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
y post-baccalaureate program only offers Algebra-based physics. Would this be seen negatively in the eyes of the Adcoms, the switch from calculus-based to algebra-based?
How would they know this level of granularity?

In addition, would me retaking classes I did well in be frowned upon as well?

Well, if you're retaking it to apply to schools that require online courses, it shouldn't be an issue, right?

And why should you be penalized when so many people took online classes during the pandemic???

You really should double check MSAR Online to find out if the prohibition against online courses still holds true.

Well, if you're retaking it to apply to schools that require online courses, it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Sorry, did you mean schools that don't allow online courses? That is why I'm retaking the in-person versions.

And why should you be penalized when so many people took online classes during the pandemic???

You really should double check MSAR Online to find out if the prohibition against online courses still holds true.

My issue was that I took the online version before the pandemic. I apologize if I didn't make that too clear. It's also tough to find lab-only courses around me so I opted to just retake the full sequence in my post-bacc program in-person.

I've checked MSAR, specifically with two in-state schools I'm looking at and the prohibition against online courses holds true for courses taken before the start of the pandemic (2020).

Sorry, did you mean schools that don't allow online courses? That is why I'm retaking the in-person versions.

My issue was that I took the online version before the pandemic. I apologize if I didn't make that too clear. It's also tough to find lab-only courses around me so I opted to just retake the full sequence in my post-bacc program in-person.

I've checked MSAR, specifically with two in-state schools I'm looking at and the prohibition against online courses holds true for courses taken before the start of the pandemic (2020).
Again, I can't see how they would fault you for retaking the classes when they specifically prohibit online coursework. In this case, I'm reminded of LizzyM's comment about why someone might retake the MCAT after getting a perfectly fine 515 score: "Because they want to come here?"