Physics in opt school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenzie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm getting my rear kicked in Physics. I'm holding a solid B, but fighting tooth and nail for it!!! How much Physics will I see once I get into Opt school? HOPEFULLY VERY LITTLE!!!! :) I even caught myself dreaming about the horrible word problems! Ya, I've pretty much lost it, I know! :p

Members don't see this ad.

The physics I had in undergrad had exactly zero influence on my performance in optics classes in optometry school. My physics professor didn't really even discuss optics even though it was in the course handbook. He spent a few minutes on it for the people who took the MCAT, but that was after I already took the OAT. I survived optics just fine. None of the other physics ever really appears again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel relieved. Nobody in class understood the professor in physics 2 lecture.
But optics should be good. We spent some time in lab and lectures doing optics.

optics will really be nothing like physics, especially calculus based physics. The "physics" you will need to know in optometry is more about principles (photoelectric effect, wave-particle duality, polarization, etc) not problems sets.

I struggled through calculus based physics in undergrad (mainly due to crappy profs) and breezed through optics.

If you understand things better with diagrams and word problems you'll do fine in optics. :) Anything I can draw out to help me solve.. I can wrap my brain around much better.

Right now I'm getting my rear kicked in Physics. I'm holding a solid B, but fighting tooth and nail for it!!! How much Physics will I see once I get into Opt school? HOPEFULLY VERY LITTLE!!!! :) I even caught myself dreaming about the horrible word problems! Ya, I've pretty much lost it, I know! :p

college physics and optometry physics are completely different. Bascially in college physics the professors attempt to teach you their topics in a way that relates well to someone who wishes to study physics for the rest of their life. Optometry school teaches us optics, but the math involved is very minor compared to the equations involved in college physics.

Optics is one of the classes that I am ecstatic to just PASS...

Not my bread and butter by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it is much more difficult than anatomy or pharmacology...

Optics is one of the classes that I am ecstatic to just PASS...

Not my bread and butter by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it is much more difficult than anatomy or pharmacology...

see, I'm exactly the opposite. Give me math any day. Anatomy and pharm were my two hardest classes. I hate memorization classes.

Yeah, one of my good friends is exactly like that too...

It seems like you are really good at one or the other, never both...except for the select few that get the top scores in everything:cool: