1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Physics is KILLING ME! What should I do?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by aspiringdoc09, Aug 19, 2011.

1. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm using EK Physics with EK Physics 1001. I have even looked in my undergrad physics textbook to review content I can't grasp through EK. Truth of the matter: I SUCK at it and have always. In high school I had a hard time with one teacher and got better when we got a new teacher. College, Physics 1 was terrible and I barely made a C (even with tutoring from my professor). Physics 2, I did better but only got a B. I just ordered TPR series to get a new view for it (~1.5 weeks delivery). I have a physics for dummies that I need to pull out (forgot I had it) and I have been using khanacademy.org

Questions: If I am solid in all other areas, do you think I am capable of breaking 30+ if I fudge the physics part? How many physics passages/questions does the PS section comprise?

I finally got an understanding of EK Lec 1: Translational Motion (~80% accuracy) but now the Lec 2: Force is giving me tremendous problems (50% accuracy). I realize that each section builds on the other, and if I can't build my foundation correctly, I will be unable to do well on the real thing.

Any idea how I should go about it? I'm thinking about a tutor but in the past that didn't help either. How can I overcome this obstacle?

Also, I saw related articles but not as update and related to my problem. Thank you in advance for your assistance.:(:(:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Nova or Berkley Physics and Khanacademy videos

4. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

So, I need to by Berkley or Nova; although I just purchased TPR hyperlearning?

#3 aspiringdoc09, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you are low on money stay with TPR Physics and watch the khanacademy videos. and practice practice practice

6. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Thanks vnicolas for your advice!

7. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PUNCH IT BACK.

And go watch Khan Academy - khanacademy.com . Sal Khan explains every topic extremely well; he goes slow and builds on foundations of understandings. Trust me. If your problem is understanding, def check out his videos.

8. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There no simple way but to do a lot of problems.

I mean a lot as in at least thousand problems.

9. costales

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The best way to study physics is to focus on the basic principles and formulas that represent them. Understand them well - what the variables are, what the assumptions are. Ignore the math and gory details in the derivations. Then apply those principles by doing problems - especially the short to medium ones that test your understanding. Ignore problems that make you do a lot of calculations - chances are you won't see them on MCAT.

10. indianjatt

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you guys recommend if my physics classes didn't cover all of the subjects on the MCAT? I have NOVA physics, but it's more of content review than actual learning. Any textbook recommendations or something else? Khan's videos are definitely helpful, but they take a long time to watch and you don't get a lot of practice.

Thanks !