Physics is KILLING ME! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using EK Physics with EK Physics 1001. I have even looked in my undergrad physics textbook to review content I can't grasp through EK. Truth of the matter: I SUCK at it and have always. In high school I had a hard time with one teacher and got better when we got a new teacher. College, Physics 1 was terrible and I barely made a C (even with tutoring from my professor). Physics 2, I did better but only got a B. I just ordered TPR series to get a new view for it (~1.5 weeks delivery). I have a physics for dummies that I need to pull out (forgot I had it) and I have been using khanacademy.org

Questions: If I am solid in all other areas, do you think I am capable of breaking 30+ if I fudge the physics part? How many physics passages/questions does the PS section comprise?

I finally got an understanding of EK Lec 1: Translational Motion (~80% accuracy) but now the Lec 2: Force is giving me tremendous problems (50% accuracy). I realize that each section builds on the other, and if I can't build my foundation correctly, I will be unable to do well on the real thing.

Any idea how I should go about it? I'm thinking about a tutor but in the past that didn't help either. How can I overcome this obstacle?

Also, I saw related articles but not as update and related to my problem. Thank you in advance for your assistance.:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

If you are low on money stay with TPR Physics and watch the khanacademy videos. and practice practice practice

Members don't see this ad :)
PUNCH IT BACK.

And go watch Khan Academy - khanacademy.com . Sal Khan explains every topic extremely well; he goes slow and builds on foundations of understandings. Trust me. If your problem is understanding, def check out his videos.

There no simple way but to do a lot of problems.

I mean a lot as in at least thousand problems.

The best way to study physics is to focus on the basic principles and formulas that represent them. Understand them well - what the variables are, what the assumptions are. Ignore the math and gory details in the derivations. Then apply those principles by doing problems - especially the short to medium ones that test your understanding. Ignore problems that make you do a lot of calculations - chances are you won't see them on MCAT.

What do you guys recommend if my physics classes didn't cover all of the subjects on the MCAT? I have NOVA physics, but it's more of content review than actual learning. Any textbook recommendations or something else? Khan's videos are definitely helpful, but they take a long time to watch and you don't get a lot of practice.

Thanks !