1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Physics is KILLING ME! What should I do?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by aspiringdoc09, Aug 19, 2011.

1. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm using EK Physics with EK Physics 1001. I have even looked in my undergrad physics textbook to review content I can't grasp through EK. Truth of the matter: I SUCK at it and have always. In high school I had a hard time with one teacher and got better when we got a new teacher. College, Physics 1 was terrible and I barely made a C (even with tutoring from my professor). Physics 2, I did better but only got a B. I just ordered TPR series to get a new view for it (~1.5 weeks delivery). I have a physics for dummies that I need to pull out (forgot I had it) and I have been using khanacademy.org

Questions: If I am solid in all other areas, do you think I am capable of breaking 30+ if I fudge the physics part? How many physics passages/questions does the PS section comprise?

I finally got an understanding of EK Lec 1: Translational Motion (~80% accuracy) but now the Lec 2: Force is giving me tremendous problems (50% accuracy). I realize that each section builds on the other, and if I can't build my foundation correctly, I will be unable to do well on the real thing.

Any idea how I should go about it? I'm thinking about a tutor but in the past that didn't help either. How can I overcome this obstacle?

Also, I saw related articles but not as update and related to my problem. Thank you in advance for your assistance.:(:(:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Nova or Berkley Physics and Khanacademy videos

4. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

So, I need to by Berkley or Nova; although I just purchased TPR hyperlearning?

#3 aspiringdoc09, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you are low on money stay with TPR Physics and watch the khanacademy videos. and practice practice practice

6. aspiringdoc09

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Thanks vnicolas for your advice!

7. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PUNCH IT BACK.

And go watch Khan Academy - khanacademy.com . Sal Khan explains every topic extremely well; he goes slow and builds on foundations of understandings. Trust me. If your problem is understanding, def check out his videos.

8. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There no simple way but to do a lot of problems.

I mean a lot as in at least thousand problems.

9. costales

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The best way to study physics is to focus on the basic principles and formulas that represent them. Understand them well - what the variables are, what the assumptions are. Ignore the math and gory details in the derivations. Then apply those principles by doing problems - especially the short to medium ones that test your understanding. Ignore problems that make you do a lot of calculations - chances are you won't see them on MCAT.

10. indianjatt

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you guys recommend if my physics classes didn't cover all of the subjects on the MCAT? I have NOVA physics, but it's more of content review than actual learning. Any textbook recommendations or something else? Khan's videos are definitely helpful, but they take a long time to watch and you don't get a lot of practice.

Thanks !