physics is my weak subject...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALOHA84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have just started studying for OAT after not knowing what i can really do w/ my biology degree. I've worked w/ an optometrist for a while and thinking about doing optometry. But I am wondering if optometry is good for me if physics is my weak subject. It takes me forever to solve phy. problems. Does it mean I shouldn't consider optometry. How bad is physics in the optometry schools?
Any suggestion will be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for the depth of physics in optometry school but I can say that you shouldn't let a weakness in physics stop you from pursuing a career in optometry. Physics is a pre-req for optometry school so you obviously got past the undergrad courses. It may take some extra hard work and study time on your part but it can definitely be done. Never let one course change your mind for you (I almost did this with calculus)! The most important question you need to ask yourself is whether you truly want to be an optometrist!! :)

There are lots of threads about physics, but in summary... you'll use a lot of the basic concepts of physics in your geometrical optics courses, especially concerning light and how it refracts, reflects, diffracts, etc through a lens to get to the eye. You'll learn all about real, virtual, inverted, upright, etc images... you'll learn how the optics of the eye takes those images and puts it (hopefully) on the retina.

So, yes it is a tad important. But will you have to know all about electricity and force? No, not really. You will need a "decent" background in it overall, but you don't necessarily need to be a supergenius in physics.

Heck, that was actually my best subject in undergrad and my lowest section score on the OAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I have just started studying for OAT after not knowing what i can really do w/ my biology degree. I've worked w/ an optometrist for a while and thinking about doing optometry. But I am wondering if optometry is good for me if physics is my weak subject. It takes me forever to solve phy. problems. Does it mean I shouldn't consider optometry. How bad is physics in the optometry schools?
Any suggestion will be great. Thanks.

I wouldn't let one weakness stop you. However, think about what being weak in physics might mean in the broader sense. Optometry *IS* about problem solving. Your patients often come to you with problems and it is your job to figure it out. It may not be a medical issue either like most people think. Many times you have to solve problems with glasses and contacts. I can't tell you how many times I've had to calculate something or figure out why the patient just can't see despite everything being "correct"!

If you are weak in physics is it because you aren't good at problem solving, you don't have a good basis in math (so you don't know what formula to use or how to apply them), or is it because you just aren't an analytical person? Some of us are more right brained and some of us are more left brained.

Just being realistic about this...

Don't listen to people who tell you, "Don't worry about it, if you simply try harder, you'll get through it." Optometry is a huge investment in time and money. Don't take it lightly! Make sure you know that you are 100% prepared to go into the profession. Applying one's self means nothing. Do your homework...

Talking to this forum is a good start. You might want to visit an OD school or two and ask the admissions director (who may be very biased), and even wander the halls asking students for their opinions. Get as many opinions as you can so that you know what ALL of the issues are. You might find that it's not physics that may deter you. Then ask more than one optometrist in private practice. Commercial doctors may not know all the issues. Ask someone who is a business owner. Ask questions about school and what optometry is like after school. Most ODs won't mind you spending a little time. Even two minutes is better than nothing right?

Make sure you do your homework and make sure you are thorough. There is too much riding on this. You don't want to be stuck with $50,000 or $100,000 or even $150,000 worth of debt (or more) because you made the wrong decision. It could be as bad as buying a house without even looking at it. :eek:

Email me directly if you want to know more... :)

Hi,
I agree with doctor Watson, don't let one weekness pull you back.
It is not that I am telling you not to study. However, I only reviewed my general physic book 2 days before my OAT and I got 340 in my physic section, questions aren't that hard, just study the formulas, know the concepts,..and try to study for other subjects as well.
Good luck!

Physics is ez generally, but if you're just ans mc questions its EXTREMELY easy....stop complaining and make it a strength like you're other subjects.

Physics is ez generally, but if you're just ans mc questions its EXTREMELY easy....stop complaining and make it a strength like you're other subjects.

Good thing there's not an English grammar part on the OAT. :laugh: :lol: