Physics Lab Requirement (Lab vs Demo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caliente Pocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question regarding the physics lab requirement for medical school. I took my first two quarters of Physics as calculus-based physics, with each course containing a "demo section" but no actual lab. However, under the course description of the registrar's page, these classes have the following listing: "Lab/Demo: Yes"

I did later take a separate 2-unit physics lab class, followed by opting in to take the last class of the algebra-based physics class: 5 units that did contain an integrated lab component.

Basically, I'm confused as to whether I add in the "Combined Lecture and Lab" for my first two Physics courses. If not, I'm worried medical schools may not see my course work as meeting the 1 year of physics w/ lab requirement.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Quick question regarding the physics lab requirement for medical school. I took my first two quarters of Physics as calculus-based physics, with each course containing a "demo section" but no actual lab. However, under the course description of the registrar's page, these classes have the following listing: "Lab/Demo: Yes"

I did later take a separate 2-unit physics lab class, followed by opting in to take the last class of the algebra-based physics class: 5 units that did contain an integrated lab component.

Basically, I'm confused as to whether I add in the "Combined Lecture and Lab" for my first two Physics courses. If not, I'm worried medical schools may not see my course work as meeting the 1 year of physics w/ lab requirement.

Thanks for reading!

I would call AMCAS and ask them what to put. I would guess that it would count as combined, but I don't know since I never had to do this.

My reason for telling you to call them is that they are the head people that are going to verify your application so you might as well ask them. I called them twice last cycle and they were really nice and helpful. Don't be afraid of them!

Please reply when you get an answer so future people will know, especially if nobody else replies to this thread.