physics lab requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixenell

don't stop me now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of schools require a physics lab component as a prerequisite. However, because of scheduling conflicts with labs that I have to take for my major, I haven't been able to take any. What are the odds of the requirement being waived, or should I take an advanced lab later on?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a decent chance the requirement could be waived at several schools (one of my buddies had his second semester of physics waived) but it leaves you with the chore of contacting each school individually and pleading your case of why it should be waived. There's also the chance that some of the schools you applied to won't waive it.

When a school "has a problem" with your prerequisites (or lack thereof)... how do they let you know? By rejecting you directly, or by contacting you to resolve the problem first?

(I'm hoping the second option, since the requirements are often "for matriculation", not "for acceptance")

Members don't see this ad :)
The best policy is to ask the schools directly. Honestly, though, they're probably gonna be sticklers about that physics lab, especially since it isn't like you AP'ed out of it or anything. Also, most schools (not all) stipulate that you must complete your pre-reqs before you matriculate. So, as long as you get it done by the time you graduate, you should be fine. Good luck.

Well, there's always summer school!

Although that would suck... stuck in school the summer before med school.