Physics or bio over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post-bacc at Northwestern and debating whether to take physics or bio over the summer. Which is less painful and more doable? I've done well in gen chem, but I hear taking summer sciences is super hard. I'm up for the challenge though, because it will mean applying a year earlier to med school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that physics is doable in the summer. I took I and II in the spr/summer semesters and did just fine and I don't regret doing it either.

Depends on what you're good at. Physics is all math. If you like math and you like figuring out word problems, that's your class. Bio is mostly memorization though at some schools Bio I is very conceptual. If you're better at cold hard facts and interpreting them and memorizing them and then explaining them and why they're important, Bio is the way to go over the summer.

With summer classes, be sure you like the class because if you don't, it's going to be 5, 6, 7,8, 9, or 10 weeks of pure hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree - I did all of my physics last summer (3 lecture classes and 2 labs) and I'm so glad to have gotten it out of the way. In particular, I feel that I'm not a strong physics student, and I thought it would have been too difficult for me to do well at my own undergrad institution. Doing these courses doing the summer has also allowed me to spend my time at my undergrad taking classes that I enjoy.

Which bio are you talking about, though? Just the basic 1-year core classes, or upper division? I don't know anyone who has taken all their bio in the summer, so I can't advise on that option :(

Now that I think about it, since I don't know much about post-bacc, my answers may not even be relevant to your question. I'll try again.

I think physics is inherently more difficult, but bio will require more time for reading. Hope that helps.

physics if you are good at quickly grasping concepts and applying them. bio if you are good at cramming large amounts of info in a short time.

*Hint: most people would do physics

I heard that summer classes were a bit watered down so that they could fit it into the summer. Also since that is the only class you have to worry about, I'm going to go against what the crowd says and argue in favor for the subject that you are weaker in. That way you can TOTALLY devote yourself to that class for the summer - you will wake up and go to sleep thinking about it. That generally makes a class more managable.

Get some more opinions though.

is bio-evolution and physics-mechanics + physics lab doable in one summer session?

I'm thinking of doing both summer session I & II, is it bad? :-(. I've heard stories about people being burnt out...

any opinion would be great :-D

Of course it's possible, but you have to realize that summer courses are usually condensed. Are you the type of person that can pick up things quickly? If you're taking all these courses during the summer, than what are you planning on taking during the rest of the year?

I want to get a minor in econ and poli sci, which means I have to take 8 classes extra. I won't finish in 4 yrs w/o summer school

I'm going to put in my two cents and say that I don't think you should be taking medical school pre-reqs over the summer. Is there any way you could take an econ or poli sci class instead?

Thats a good point :-(. I couldn't get into the chem class and the bio I'm suppose to take conflicts with my chemistry lab time next quarter, which was the only slot I luckily squeezed in =/. sighhh :(