carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
400
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can any of you guys recommend a physics prep book for a non calculus based course? When I took the sequence I didnt think to use one but my wife is preparing to take them herself and would like to prep.
 

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
15,488
1,878
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
carn311 said:
Can any of you guys recommend a physics prep book for a non calculus based course? When I took the sequence I didnt think to use one but my wife is preparing to take them herself and would like to prep.
I would try Schaum's Outlines for Physics
 

opmed

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
59
0
Status
"Physics Demystified" is a decent review for a non-calc based physics class. It's not the most detailed book, but it helped me re-familiarize myself with concepts in physics.
 
About the Ads

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
400
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
opmed said:
"Physics Demystified" is a decent review for a non-calc based physics class. It's not the most detailed book, but it helped me re-familiarize myself with concepts in physics.
The thing is she hasn't had ANY physics in the past; even at the highschool level. So, we're looking for something that can go from really basic concepts upward.
 

opmed

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
59
0
Status
carn311 said:
The thing is she hasn't had ANY physics in the past; even at the highschool level. So, we're looking for something that can go from really basic concepts upward.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like reading the book required any previous knowledge of physics. The book would actually be a good fit for someone who hasn't had physics before, as it goes through most of the basics of physics.
 

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
1,758
22
Status
Post Doc
Check out Princeton Review's AP Physics B/C book.
 

magdalynaa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
6
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Saxon physics. It's a high school textbook. You can find it on ebay for $20. Just make sure to pick up the solutions guide, also.

I had a lot of problems with physics in high school and college, and this textbook has been excellent. I could have taught myself in high school if only I had had this book!
 

anon-y-mouse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
1,382
13
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Agree with Schaum's. Physics (at our level) is about recognizing standard types of problems and knowing how to solve them. It'll give you, say, 10 banked curve questions, and you'll learn how to solve them quickly.
 

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
BrettBatchelor said:
I would try Schaum's Outlines for Physics
I second this. I actually asked my professor what he recommended and this is what he suggested. I found there were a lot of closely related questions on the exams.
 
About the Ads