Physics prep books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of you guys recommend a physics prep book for a non calculus based course? When I took the sequence I didnt think to use one but my wife is preparing to take them herself and would like to prep.

Members don't see this ad.

carn311 said:
Can any of you guys recommend a physics prep book for a non calculus based course? When I took the sequence I didnt think to use one but my wife is preparing to take them herself and would like to prep.

I would try Schaum's Outlines for Physics

"Physics Demystified" is a decent review for a non-calc based physics class. It's not the most detailed book, but it helped me re-familiarize myself with concepts in physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
opmed said:
"Physics Demystified" is a decent review for a non-calc based physics class. It's not the most detailed book, but it helped me re-familiarize myself with concepts in physics.

The thing is she hasn't had ANY physics in the past; even at the highschool level. So, we're looking for something that can go from really basic concepts upward.

carn311 said:
The thing is she hasn't had ANY physics in the past; even at the highschool level. So, we're looking for something that can go from really basic concepts upward.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like reading the book required any previous knowledge of physics. The book would actually be a good fit for someone who hasn't had physics before, as it goes through most of the basics of physics.

Check out Princeton Review's AP Physics B/C book.

Saxon physics. It's a high school textbook. You can find it on ebay for $20. Just make sure to pick up the solutions guide, also.

I had a lot of problems with physics in high school and college, and this textbook has been excellent. I could have taught myself in high school if only I had had this book!

Agree with Schaum's. Physics (at our level) is about recognizing standard types of problems and knowing how to solve them. It'll give you, say, 10 banked curve questions, and you'll learn how to solve them quickly.

BrettBatchelor said:
I would try Schaum's Outlines for Physics

I second this. I actually asked my professor what he recommended and this is what he suggested. I found there were a lot of closely related questions on the exams.