Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

physics question--help

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by twesting2173, Aug 16, 2002.

1. twesting2173

twesting2173 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2001
    could someone help me with harmonics?

is "N" (the number of antinodes) the harmonic number? that's what i thought, but then i looked through some KAPLAN flash cards and it says that the harmonic number in the pipes drawn corresponded to the node number.

can someone help me?

thanks for all your help, good luck to eveyone....i'm so scared.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. holla

holla Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2002
    you are right...however it depends on how you look at it..in closed pipes n does equal the number of anitnodes or is the harmonic number...but in open pipes it refers to the nodes and harmonic number..im pretty sure that's right..let me know if its not.

4. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire 7+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2002
    TX
    Though I can't say I know the answer to that as well, I agree w/ holla. In tubes where one end is closed and the other end is open, the harmonic number can be the number of nodes or antinodes, since there are an equal number of them . . .