iololiol

7+ Year Member
May 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Not correcting for wind resistance when evaluating the results of a .2kg ball falling would lead to a value for the gravitational force constant that is too:

A. large
B. small

I need an answer and an explanation. THANKS

sotto voce

Removed
May 13, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Not correcting for wind resistance when evaluating the results of a .2kg ball falling would lead to a value for the gravitational force constant that is too:

A. large
B. small

I need an answer and an explanation. THANKS
B. small

Wind resistance will make the object (think of a feather) fall slower than it otherwise would. Acceleration due to gravity would appear to be quite small.

Alternatively, think if there was jet back attached to the object falling. The object would travel faster then normal and so the effect of gravity would appear to be more significant than it really is.

Lunasly

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Canada
Status
I think what makes this question confusing is the part where it says "Not correcting for". It sounds as if "if it were not included". However, another way to think about is that it means "If you didn't correct your calculations to remove it".

OP
I

iololiol

7+ Year Member
May 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Oooooh I get it... If you didn't correct your calculations to remove wind resistance then it would be small g! Thanks