Physics TBR tension pendulum motion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

"What is the tension in the string in trial 4 if the pendulum bob swings through equilibrium with a speed of 4 m/s?"
There is a data table that gives 5 trials of a pendulum swung at different lengths, with trial 4 being at 4 meters and 40.4 seconds for 10 oscillations to occur.

I did this question based on an equation I learned last semester in my physics II class, v0 = square root of T*L/m, but I got 0.4 kg/s^2, which doesn't even make sense in terms of units.

Does anyone recognize the equation I used?

They solved it using an equation, Fnet = mv^2/r, which I do not recognize.

They said that the sum of the forces in the y direction would be T - mg = mv^2/r

Could someone explain what this equation is?

Members don't see this ad.

"What is the tension in the string in trial 4 if the pendulum bob swings through equilibrium with a speed of 4 m/s?"
There is a data table that gives 5 trials of a pendulum swung at different lengths, with trial 4 being at 4 meters and 40.4 seconds for 10 oscillations to occur.

I did this question based on an equation I learned last semester in my physics II class, v0 = square root of T*L/m, but I got 0.4 kg/s^2, which doesn't even make sense in terms of units.

Does anyone recognize the equation I used?

They solved it using an equation, Fnet = mv^2/r, which I do not recognize.

They said that the sum of the forces in the y direction would be T - mg = mv^2/r

Could someone explain what this equation is?

The equation I referenced was for the speed of a transverse wave, I guess the pendulum produces a longitudinal wave rather than a transverse wave. I have never seen that other equation before though.

Fnet = mv^2 / r is for uniform circular motion. They are considering the pendulum at the equilibrium position (hanging straight down) where v = 4 m/s and r = 4 m.

Fnet = mv^2 / r is for uniform circular motion. They are considering the pendulum at the equilibrium position (hanging straight down) where v = 4 m/s and r = 4 m.
Hm, circular motion, would that be related to centripetal force? my physics courses never covered circular motion

Hm, circular motion, would that be related to centripetal force? my physics courses never covered circular motion
have you drawn a FBD? The force of gravity, and the tension must be equal and opposite. The Tension in this case is the centripetal force as it is what keeps the object in a circular motion rather than falling straight to the ground. Also the force of gravity is always perpendicular to the tangential velocity of the circular path.