Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdPach

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that took physics at the local community college over the summer of his freshman year because he didn't want to have to take it sophmore year because of the "triple threat" (biology, organic, and physics). I was wondering if taking it over the summer would be better then taking it next year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend that took physics at the local community college over the summer of his freshman year because he didn't want to have to take it sophmore year because of the "triple threat" (biology, organic, and physics). I was wondering if taking it over the summer would be better then taking it next year.

Thanks

i know alot of medical schools require that you take your pre-med requirements at the undergrad you went to...however, what is more important to say is that many of them do not accept pre-med requirements, physics being one, that are taken at COMMUNITY COLLEGES. so, before you decide to do this, i would check with some schools you think you'll be applying to and see what their policy is. i remember seeing alot in the apps. that classes taken at community colleges were not going to be accepted.

hope this helps, and good luck

however, what is more important to say is that many of them do not accept pre-med requirements, physics being one, that are taken at COMMUNITY COLLEGES.

This is blatantly FALSE! Please stop spreading this myth. MOST schools DO accept CC credits. In fact, the number of schools that don't accept CC credits is in the single digits (two, last time I checked and one of those looks at each case on a case-by-case basis, so really only one).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, physics is out-dated anyway. Microsoft bought the rights to Newton's Laws and is currently in the process of phasing out entropy in hopes that Vista will finally work. Besides, doctors are only making 70k these days. Don't bother with taking any science classes, you can still be a DO.

Eh, the days of the doctor are over. Now quit being a goose, and go grab a beer.

Take the class during the summer at your own university. That way there's no question it will be accepted. If you don't live by your university during the summer take it at a local university. Unless you only have one school in your state it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm biased since I live 3 miles from my school.

The prehealth at my school advised us not to take any of the major pre-reqs (physics, orgo, gen chem) over the summer because it might look as through we were trying to go the easy route.

Community college classes may not be entirely 'unacceptable' to adcoms, but you run a serious risk that it will appear you "took the easy way out." If you don't want to take it during the regular academic year, take it over the summer at your own university.

Community college classes may not be entirely 'unacceptable' to adcoms, but you run a serious risk that it will appear you "took the easy way out." If you don't want to take it during the regular academic year, take it over the summer at your own university.

What about those of us who are doing their freshman/sophmore years at a community college?

Taking a year long university physics course is probably wiser in the long run. You will learn the material more completely, and your recall will be better when you study for the MCAT. Definitely do not take a cc physics class if you are concerned about your abilty to learn physics. Trying to cram a course that you aren't understanding will come back to bite you, as it is a recipe for a bad physical sciences score on your MCAT.

Taking a year long university physics course is probably wiser in the long run. You will learn the material more completely, and your recall will be better when you study for the MCAT. Definitely do not take a cc physics class if you are concerned about your abilty to learn physics. Trying to cram a course that you aren't understanding will come back to bite you, as it is a recipe for a bad physical sciences score on your MCAT.

My choices are to take 2 quarters of chem at my cc, or to take 2 quarters of chem at the university. In the end, it's the same amount of time. (UW is based on a quarter system, the same as the CC, not on the semester system.)