angeleyez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Ok, here is the deal I took the non-calc based physics for a semester the professor SUCKED *** but i still managed to pull off an A. The second semester ( which is right now) i am taking the calc-based physics the teacher also sucks but think he's a little better than the non-calc based physics. The deal at my school though is that the calc based physics is divided into four semesters and i know electricity and magnetism is on the MCAT. Does anyone know if the depth of this material on the MCAT is something i can handle if i study on my own or should i take the class.
NOTE: that after two semesters of physics i am still very clueless cos the physics department at my school is crap. So, i will have to basically teach myself physics for the MCAT.

Margaux1985

0k member
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
The great plains of NYC
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, here is the deal I took the non-calc based physics for a semester the professor SUCKED *** but i still managed to pull off an A. The second semester ( which is right now) i am taking the calc-based physics the teacher also sucks but think he's a little better than the non-calc based physics. The deal at my school though is that the calc based physics is divided into four semesters and i know electricity and magnetism is on the MCAT. Does anyone know if the depth of this material on the MCAT is something i can handle if i study on my own or should i take the class.
NOTE: that after two semesters of physics i am still very clueless cos the physics department at my school is crap. So, i will have to basically teach myself physics for the MCAT.
The physics on the MCAT will not go into depth beyond the two semesters that you've probably already covered. I would say it's about what you'd need to know for the AP Physics B and C. There's not going to be any calculus on it either.

As for going through four semesters of physics, I don't think it's necessary unless you plan on majoring in physics. I know that at my school, the only people who took four semesters of physics were those who planned on majoring in nuclear physics or quantum mechanics - I think you'll do fine without going down that path.

JerryLundegaard

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Algebraic physics is enough for the MCAT. 4 semesters of physics intended for physics majors is borderline overkill. However, teaching yourself concepts from the non-calc physics 2nd semester will be tough because the material is just not very straight forward. Say what you will about the quality of your professors, it's tough to learn that stuff on your own.

So, i guess overall you should take the 2nd semester of algebraic physics before the mcat.