Physics

iiis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Kaplan OAT Final last night to see where I stood and I did decent on Bio, Chem (thought I would have done better) and Organic. I used Chad's videos and thought I had a good grasp on Chemistry, but my scores state otherwise. I skipped/guessed on a lot on the QR portion, but I still broke 300?? RC has always been a problem for me. This is the first practice I took and I used the looking at the questions then reading method. I finished with a couple of minutes to spare, so I thought my RC score would have been higher. I have no idea what happened with Physics. Physics is one of my weaker point, but I thought I had an okay understanding of it. That was just horrible!

I've been mainly focusing on the Science subjects and have done no RC or QR practice yet. I've planned to take practice tests and go over what I missed on each section to strengthen my weak points and use that as a way to practice for RC and QR. Any suggestions/ideas/help on what I should focus on/how to study for any of the subjects? I am not sure how I should study for physics. I know the formulas and the relationships between the variables. I've read that some feel that Kaplan is not accurate with physics, but others say that it is an overkill. Seeing my score makes me feel like I know nothing!!

For those who have taken the tests, would you say the QR portion is similar to the DAT destroyer?

I hope to take my test in 3 weeks. Thank you for your help!!

Kaplan Final
Bio: 340
Chem: 310
OChem: 360
RC: 260
Phys: 230
QR: 330

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For physics you have to know the formulas and the concepts. the kaplan practice OATs do have a lot of nice examples of conceptual questions. have you looked over the questions you missed? what I would do is that for the questions I would get wrong I would just look at the letter answer (obviously to see if i got it wrong or not) and then lets say i got 10 wrong, I would give myself 11 minutes to rework those 10 over again and then check out the full explanation. its better for me that way because I learned a long time ago that once I read the explanation I'll think that I know how to do it but I never really tried it out.

so back to physics just really try to understand concepts, the when KE or PE is max, how mass of the ball at the end affects the period of a pendulum (it doesnt lol), elastic and inelastic collisions and fluids, you know things like that. hope it works out and good luck :D

I found the physics on the real exam a lot easier than Kaplan. I was consistently scoring around 270-280 on the Kaplan practices before I took the OAT, and I ended up with a 330. It thought it was definitely a lot more conceptual than Kaplan let on.
Just keep practicing problems though--that's the best way to learn it. Good luck!

Thank you for your responses!

How did you guys prepare for QR? Did you feel like the destroyer was a good representation of the actual test?