Physiology Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BKelly734

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm graduating in a few months from my 4 year university with a 3.1-3.2 oGPA and sGPA. My GPA is low because I had a hard time starting out, I earned a 3.65 last semester, and plan on doing even better this semester. I plan on starting a Masters program in the Fall before I apply to d-school next year. I am applying to graduate schools now, but I think I want to do the North Carolina State University non-thesis 2 year Masters in Physiology. NCSU has a veterinary school so it looks like a lot of its students are going that route, but it still has a lot of courses that apply to dental school like physiology I and II, immunology, cell bio, biochem, etc. I was just wondering if anyone else has done or heard of anything from this program? Or has anyone attempted a Masters in Physiology from anywhere else to try and get in to d-school?

Any help would be greatly appreciated from the SDN world!

Thanks a lot everyone,
BK

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm graduating in a few months from my 4 year university with a 3.1-3.2 oGPA and sGPA. My GPA is low because I had a hard time starting out, I earned a 3.65 last semester, and plan on doing even better this semester. I plan on starting a Masters program in the Fall before I apply to d-school next year. I am applying to graduate schools now, but I think I want to do the North Carolina State University non-thesis 2 year Masters in Physiology. NCSU has a veterinary school so it looks like a lot of its students are going that route, but it still has a lot of courses that apply to dental school like physiology I and II, immunology, cell bio, biochem, etc. I was just wondering if anyone else has done or heard of anything from this program? Or has anyone attempted a Masters in Physiology from anywhere else to try and get in to d-school?

Thanks a lot everyone,
BK

Have you taken the DAT? With an upward trend on your Gpa and dec DAT I think you'd have a chance...idk, 2 years physiology just to get into d school seems rough

I will say a masters in physiology will help you if you go into anesthesia or omfs... Probably a moot point at this juncture tho

Forgot to post my DAT scores before anyone asks:
Bio: 17
G Chem: 19
O Chem: 15
PAT: 22
RC: 20
QR: 17

That was my first attempt, didn't prepare well or have the right materials, and only used Kaplan. I have since bought all the right materials: I'm going to use Chad's, datQvault, DAT Destroyer, Kaplan BB, Cliff's AP Bio, and Topscore. I am going for attempt #2 this Summer, before I start the Masters. I'm aiming for 20+, and want to get it out of the way before grad school.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just posted my DAT scores. I'm pretty much doing the Masters so I'm not just sitting around next year even if I did apply.

I'm working on my physiology masters right now and will be graduating end of May. I think you're on the right track. If I were you, I'd retake the DAT and up the O chem score especially. 15 is below the cut off for most schools. If you don't make the cut off, they won't even take the score. Definitely try to get 17 or higher. I know O chem is a tough subject. Hopefully the bio section goes up a point or 2 as well. If you get a 3.7+ on the masters and do well on the DAT again and have plenty of extracurriculars to accompany your application, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Best of luck

I'm also in a 2 year masters program for physiology. I agree that you need a better DAT score and it looks like you've got the materials to get a great score. The upward trend in your undergrad GPA is nice and a lot of people will say that trends matter a lot more than the GPA as a whole, but I don't completely buy into it. I had a similar experience with a low GPA and strong upward trend towards the end of my undergrad, but I was denied two application cycles in a row and schools always cited my low GPA as the reason for denial. So, trends are nice but they are no substitute for a great GPA. The nice thing about the masters pathway is that the masters GPA is separate from the undergrad GPA. And I definitely feel like the masters program has better prepared me for dental school. It's also not something that I'm too concerned about finishing - I'm just finishing my first year and I applied this cycle, so if I don't get in now I can reapply again and just finish the second year of the masters program. In the three interviews I have had this cycle I have seen a number of students in masters programs all around the country, so it's becoming very common among dental applicants.

Good luck!

I'm also in a 2 year masters program for physiology. I agree that you need a better DAT score and it looks like you've got the materials to get a great score. The upward trend in your undergrad GPA is nice and a lot of people will say that trends matter a lot more than the GPA as a whole, but I don't completely buy into it. I had a similar experience with a low GPA and strong upward trend towards the end of my undergrad, but I was denied two application cycles in a row and schools always cited my low GPA as the reason for denial. So, trends are nice but they are no substitute for a great GPA. The nice thing about the masters pathway is that the masters GPA is separate from the undergrad GPA. And I definitely feel like the masters program has better prepared me for dental school. It's also not something that I'm too concerned about finishing - I'm just finishing my first year and I applied this cycle, so if I don't get in now I can reapply again and just finish the second year of the masters program. In the three interviews I have had this cycle I have seen a number of students in masters programs all around the country, so it's becoming very common among dental applicants.

Good luck!

Agree with everything here. :thumbup:

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot everyone,
BK

Found this on a google search, figured Id revive the thread if you are still looking around for masters programs. Check out the Case Western MS in Physiology program (in Cleveland, OH). You can finish in as little as 9 months (2 semesters). I will be finishing in summer after 12 months and I am applying to dental schools this June. The program is really for people who want to matriculate into either dental or medical school, and they really want to help all students the best they can. Definitely check it out!

In regards to the NCSU, do you have to take the GRE in order to apply? Their website is a little confusing in that I do not want to do the research oriented masters but simply the 36 credit hour "Master of Physiology". Having already taken the DAT (and done well on it), I would really prefer not to be rushed to take another graduate test. Also, are their some more similar programs like the NCSU and the one listed above, but that are not crazy expensive (like Georgetown, which is $45,000!!)?

I should also add my stats are:
GPA-3.05
BCP-2.7
DAT AA: 20

Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone applied with their ~3.2 GPA before getting the masters? I say this because a few people at my UG got in last cycle with 3.2 and 21-23 DAT scores. The DAT isn't that hard of a test.... Seems like you could bust out a 22 and try to get in and it may save you 2 years of masters material & tuition.

I'm planning on doing this NCSU thing, but the deadline for applying is a month away and it requires applicants to take the GRE. My question is how does the GRE compare to the DAT? I know they are totally different, but will I be able to adequately prep for the GRE in only 2.5-3 weeks?

How "competitive" is this type of thing really? I took the GRE and basically scored exactly average, my cumulative GPA is just above a 3.0, and my DAT is way above average. The deadline for admission is next Monday and my application won't be submitted for a few more days. In short, I'm basically the perfect candidate for this type of program, no? What are the chances of not getting in?

Thanks!!

Hey All! I know this thread is long since dead, but as someone currently applying I have to ask... Did you get in? Did you attend? What did you think of the program?

Thanks!!