Physiology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pod20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello a quick question, please correct me if I am wrong.

the splachnic nerve leaving CNS does not synapse with a ganglion, It goes straight to the adrenal medulla and release the ACH

My question is: is the splanchnic nerve considered long postganglionic nonmyelinated or Long preganglionic myelinated ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's sympathetically innervated, correct? Sympathetic fibers usually run either as short, preganglionic myelinated or long, postganglionic unmyelinated, but since it doesn't synapse in a ganglion, it is a long preganglionic myelinated...

Last edited:
Holy cow. This is an example of the 80% of knowledge learned in school long forgotten in practice. The main thing I recall the professor teaching us about the splanchnic nerve is that it's where you punch someone if you want to put them on the ground! Yep, DMU was tough like that back-in-the-day.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sure that lesson was from a professor and not your Sensei?
Come to think of it, that could've been Sensei Simmons' lesson at the Concord Tae Kwon Do studio.

Attachments

• foot fist.jpg
    foot fist.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 165
Okay, I'll admit it. I've been in practice a long time, I'm pretty "accomplished", and I was an examiner for the APBS exam for many years, but you lost me on this question. AND it brought back some bad memories:scared:

NatCh said:
Come to think of it, that could've been Sensei Simmons' lesson at the Concord Tae Kwon Do studio.

If you were taught by sensei simmons, THE Fred Simmons, then from here on out I will never mess with you on these forums again. From the mouth of the sensei himself..."Tae Kwon Do is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system"

If you were taught by sensei simmons, THE Fred Simmons, then from here on out I will never mess with you on these forums again. From the mouth of the sensei himself..."Tae Kwon Do is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system"
Besides...jiu jitsu sucks.

You sure that lesson was from a professor and not your Sensei?

sweep the leg. that is direct order from sensei John Kreese.

Last edited:
Besides...jiu jitsu sucks.

I'm not so sure about that statement. I was very heavily involved with a well respected Japanese style of karate and my sensei was the highest ranking master in the U.S.A

I'm no stranger to "contact", because when I used to go for belt promotions in the "old days", it was full contact, with no gear. If you didn't win your match, you didn't obtain your belt promotion or fighting stripe on your belt for the next promotion. As a result of these full contact spars, I have one front tooth which is an implant, a nice flat bridge to one part of my nose from a fracture and a large 2nd MCP on my hand from a fracture.

Despite my years and training, when I met and messed around with one of the Gracie brothers, who are world known for their jiu jitsu style, I was "tapping out" in moments.

Most karate styles are simply not very adept at grappling and submissions, and once on the ground, the styles are not very effective.

I will bet my money on a jiu jitsu expert vs. most other disciplines the majority of the time.

I'm not so sure about that statement. I was very heavily involved with a well respected Japanese style of karate and my sensei was the highest ranking master in the U.S.A

I'm no stranger to "contact", because when I used to go for belt promotions in the "old days", it was full contact, with no gear. If you didn't win your match, you didn't obtain your belt promotion or fighting stripe on your belt for the next promotion. As a result of these full contact spars, I have one front tooth which is an implant, a nice flat bridge to one part of my nose from a fracture and a large 2nd MCP on my hand from a fracture.

Despite my years and training, when I met and messed around with one of the Gracie brothers, who are world known for their jiu jitsu style, I was "tapping out" in moments.

Most karate styles are simply not very adept at grappling and submissions, and once on the ground, the styles are not very effective.

I will bet my money on a jiu jitsu expert vs. most other disciplines the majority of the time.
It's a quote from the movie we're messing around with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0607YhRdE0Q

never heard of this before, just watched the trailer and I will be heading to the store tomorrow night to rent it.

I definitely work too much or too hard or both!

It's the second time I responded to a post/thread and in actuality it was someone quoting a movie and I had no clue.

I guess next winter when it snows, I shouldn't go outside and shovel or play in the snow, I should stay inside and catch up on all the movies and quotes I apparently have been missing.

I definitely work too much or too hard or both!

It's the second time I responded to a post/thread and in actuality it was someone quoting a movie and I had no clue.

I guess next winter when it snows, I shouldn't go outside and shovel or play in the snow, I should stay inside and catch up on all the movies and quotes I apparently have been missing.
Yep, have to keep up with the classics.

It's pretty cool you got to roll with the Gracies, BTW.

Yep, have to keep up with the classics.

It's pretty cool you got to roll with the Gracies, BTW.

Actually, I'm not a guy that sits and watches a lot of movies. I simply can't sit still that long. When my kids were growing up they were both heavily involved with sports, so I was always running to their events/games.

Now that they are in college, I'm busy at the office(s) or with my honeydew list...... That's my wife asking "honey, do this and do this.........

And I'll fill you in a on what I believe is a little known fact. Royce Gracie's wife is actually a DPM who did her residency training in Philadelphia! However, she does not practice under the name "Gracie".

Royce Gracie's wife is actually a DPM who did her residency training in Philadelphia! However, she does not practice under the name "Gracie".
No ****? I did not know that.

Yep. Marianne Cuttic, DPM. Just don't grapple with her.