Physiology Shelf Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigglewiggle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I heard that the physiology shelf is a killer. I am taking it soon for my final physio exam and was wondering if anyone else has taken it and remembers what types of things were on there. Was it a lot of cardio/respiratory stuff or more endocrine/neuro stuff? Any tips/advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I heard that the physiology shelf is a killer. I am taking it soon for my final physio exam and was wondering if anyone else has taken it and remembers what types of things were on there. Was it a lot of cardio/respiratory stuff or more endocrine/neuro stuff? Any tips/advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

There is a breakdown by subject on the NBME website for all the shelfs.

Read through BRS and know some common equations such as Fick's for cardiac output and UV/P for renal clearance. It is a bear but I read the CV, Resp, Renal/Acid-Base, GI and Endocrine chapters of BRS the entire day before and did really well on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the Pathophys PreTest if you get a chance. I didn't last year..but I think knowing a little path would've helped. Man that test was hard, just do your best.

thanks for the advice! do you remember if there were a lot of calculations and diseases etc on there?

thanks for the advice! do you remember if there were a lot of calculations and diseases etc on there?

I just took the physio shelf. There wasn't alot of calc. on it. BRS is MONEY for this shelf(in my opinion)

Just took the physio shelf today as well. It was a beast. Some of my classmates did not even finish. If I had to do it over again, I'd study physiology from a pathophysiological perspective.

Hey y'all I was just checking out the subject breakdown of the physio shelf exam, and it lists neurophysio . . is that on the neuro or the physio shelf??

Neurophysiology on the physio shelf is an optional module. Your med school will tell you if you are required to take it.

yeah, i've also heard its quite difficult.

what were the topics that hit hard on the exam?