Physiology: TPR and the diastolic pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Akam ahz

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I came across this line in my text book:
"Total peripheral resistance (TPR) increases diastolic pressure more than systolic pressure."

I don't understand how the peripheral resistance would increase the diastolic pressure more than the systolic pressure?

Could some one explain that for me?

Thanks!
 
Just a hypothesis, but
Hello,

I came across this line in my text book:
"Total peripheral resistance (TPR) increases diastolic pressure more than systolic pressure."

I don't understand how the peripheral resistance would increase the diastolic pressure more than the systolic pressure?

Could some one explain that for me?

Thanks!

Im assuming it's because even though systolic rises, diastolic has a greater change since the atria are weaker than the ventricles and thus need to increase force by a greater amt to increase output