Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm starting my post-bacc this summer at a state university with the gen chem series(full yr's worth accelerated over the summer), and I'm a bit nervous about paying for all this. Basically, in state options for post bacc are poor and so I decided to attend this school due to its proximity to my family and the fact that its semi-structured (committee letter, advising, etc). That said, the costs are a bit high, but not as bad as some of the private post baccs i've seen. Just for reference, I have roughly $10,000 in prior undergrad debt. Fed loans will cover approximately $12k per year for a post bacc if I'm pursuing a 2nd bachelors. The financial aide office has wised up to this, and basically if you don't show that you are working towards your 2nd bachelors (i.e. classes in addition to your pre-med prereqs), you only receive one years worth of financial aide. So that leaves me with the challenge of covering the costs. That said, 15 credits (3 classes) cost about $7500 per quarter. 10 Credits are around $5000 per qtr. If I were to do just the bare minimum prereqs over the next year my schedule would look something like this:
Summer 12: Gen chem series (15 Credits)
Fall 12: Orgo I, Bio I
Winter 13: Orgo II, Bio II, Physics II (I've already taken Phys I)
Spring 13: Orgo III, Bio III, Physics III
MCAT, APPLY
*This option provides little in the way of time to study for the MCAT or take other classes such as biochem, genetics, etc. I plan to work about 10-20 hrs per wk if possible, and am signed up to participate in 8 hrs clinical research/ wk.
Totaled up, it would be about $28,000-30,000 for the year in tuition. Obviously, I would need to supplement this with other income/private loans. Is this too crazy?
Here's what option 2 w/ a second bachelors route would look like:
Summer 12: Gen Chem Series (15 credits)
Fall 13: Orgo I, Bio I, Elective
Winter 13: Orgo II Bio II, Elective
Spring 13: Orgo III, Bio III
Summer 13: Work, research, etc
Fall 13: Biochem, Physics I
Winter 14: Genetics, Physics II
Spring 14: Elective, Physics III, MCAT Study
Total: ~$48,000
This option provides more time to finish my prereqs, take extra classes, build clinical exp and study for the MCAT. I also have the option to work over Summer 2013 to offset some of the costs. Keep in mind that in order to get fin aid for more than one yr I have to take elective classes for my "SCIENCE" major.
Seems like the cost benefit leans towards the 2 yr route, as I CANNOT afford to do poorly on the MCAT or in my science classes. But, it is alot of money. My prior GPA is a 3.86, so I'd prefer not to wreck that. I'd love some feedback/opinions on what you think might be the best route!
Summer 12: Gen chem series (15 Credits)
Fall 12: Orgo I, Bio I
Winter 13: Orgo II, Bio II, Physics II (I've already taken Phys I)
Spring 13: Orgo III, Bio III, Physics III
MCAT, APPLY
*This option provides little in the way of time to study for the MCAT or take other classes such as biochem, genetics, etc. I plan to work about 10-20 hrs per wk if possible, and am signed up to participate in 8 hrs clinical research/ wk.
Totaled up, it would be about $28,000-30,000 for the year in tuition. Obviously, I would need to supplement this with other income/private loans. Is this too crazy?
Here's what option 2 w/ a second bachelors route would look like:
Summer 12: Gen Chem Series (15 credits)
Fall 13: Orgo I, Bio I, Elective
Winter 13: Orgo II Bio II, Elective
Spring 13: Orgo III, Bio III
Summer 13: Work, research, etc
Fall 13: Biochem, Physics I
Winter 14: Genetics, Physics II
Spring 14: Elective, Physics III, MCAT Study
Total: ~$48,000
This option provides more time to finish my prereqs, take extra classes, build clinical exp and study for the MCAT. I also have the option to work over Summer 2013 to offset some of the costs. Keep in mind that in order to get fin aid for more than one yr I have to take elective classes for my "SCIENCE" major.
Seems like the cost benefit leans towards the 2 yr route, as I CANNOT afford to do poorly on the MCAT or in my science classes. But, it is alot of money. My prior GPA is a 3.86, so I'd prefer not to wreck that. I'd love some feedback/opinions on what you think might be the best route!
Last edited: