Picking a job - IOP/PHP Full Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asa1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for full time job
Whats the pros and cons with a IOP/PHP

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for full time job
Whats the pros and cons with a IOP/PHP

These jobs can be hugely variable. I’ve seen jobs where attendings cover 100 patients and have minimal connection to each, and other settings where full time is 12 patients and they are being seems several times a week. The details are so important here - how many intakes per day? Documentation requirements? How frequently does it make sense for you to see the patients you carry? What are the mechanisms for getting patients admitted? I cover the PHP at my current hospital some times and it’s a perfect setup - small case load, driven by experienced clinicians, the H/P is 4/5ths done by the time I need to document, and by 3pm everybody has gone home.

Reactions: 1 user
These jobs can be hugely variable. I’ve seen jobs where attendings cover 100 patients and have minimal connection to each, and other settings where full time is 12 patients and they are being seems several times a week. The details are so important here - how many intakes per day? Documentation requirements? How frequently does it make sense for you to see the patients you carry? What are the mechanisms for getting patients admitted? I cover the PHP at my current hospital some times and it’s a perfect setup - small case load, driven by experienced clinicians, the H/P is 4/5ths done by the time I need to document, and by 3pm everybody has gone home.

That sounds awesome. Are you in academics?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pros for the work are a bit like the advantages of inpatient (they come to you, can set your own workflow to a pretty good degree) and outpatient (less acuity, not see daily, can dump them on inpatient if they worsen clinically). Some of the highest paying gigs I have seen are in the php/iop provided you are only taking fancy insurance (or I guess cash).

Cons include job satisfaction (don't see patients at their best or worst, assembly line type work, potentially less involvement with treatment team, lack of continuity). Managed care is pushing hard to up the acuity in php for pts that would previously have been inpatient so some of these jobs are the con of inpatient level acuity but php setting.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks a lot this helped. I think I’m taking it. It’s one where it’s anything over 9 pts can get you to your bonus via RVUs so not so bad just might be some complicated mood disorders. Looking forward to gain some new insight