picking a major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeatherJane

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that pre-meds should major in Biology but I also heard that you have a smaller chance of getting into med school. What is the best major? Or does it really not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

You should major in what ever you like the best.. Do not let other factors interfere, as you can get in with any major, with a competitive application...

IMHO..

Mike

Last time I looked it up (albeit a while ago), I think philosphy was the #1 major for students...

-A

Members don't see this ad :)
Choosing Bio makes it easier because for the most part, all the med school req. are also req for your degree. So that way you don't have to struggle so much with you schedule to fit everything in. But, like it was said, choose something you enjoy and can stand for 4 years of study.

Personally, I majored in Bio (because I love it), minor in chem(because it is only one more class than I needed anyway), and a minor in philosophy(just to mix it up). Getting a minor is something you enjoy is usually pretty easy to work with.

Do what you enjoy but a degree in a science works pretty well.

HeatherJane:

I do peer advising for my school's prehealth office....

So, pick a major that is of interest to you.... you will be more motivated and probably do better. Make sure that you are working with your undergraduate advisor to include the med school prerequisite courses that will also satisfy your graduation requirements. Teh most important aspect is... plan ahead, and know where you would like to be next semester and next year.

As for having to be a bio or chem major... not at all. Approximately 60% of applicants to med school are one of these majors. Generally, humanities majors tend to do better in medical school... and specifically englishmajors tend to do better on the MCAT. Just what I have heard!

Pick something that fires you up about learning... the rest will lend balance to you.

BBB :cool:

I think you should pick a major that you know that you will enjoy and do well in. A lot of bio majors get into medical school becuase like 50 percent of people who apply to med school are bio majors, but there is no best major for medical school.