Picking Residencies NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldinho22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am an OMS-III looking to apply anesthesia. I posted earlier but figured I'd start a new thread since I'm looking for some more directed guidance. At this point, I'm looking to find residencies that I can apply to in which I would be competitive for in NYC. I don't want to be aiming to audition at places that would never take a second look at me.

My stats: USMLE 1 - 233
P/F system for M1 and M2, P/HP received for third year.
Honestly I think my CV is average, nothing extraordinary. I have 2 publications (one from undergrad, one as contributing to a medical review article), no posters. I have a leadership role and volunteer experiences.

I'm trying to develop a list of residencies that would take a serious look at me. Or if anyone could help me get started on how to look into different programs and determine which I am a competitive applicant for. Keep in mind I'm a DO student. Thank you all for your help in advance, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I dont know what the purpose of this post is. What are you looking for us to say? Not apply to some programs so you can save $20 and not have a shot at matching into some programs?

We are certainly not going to say “you are gonna match at x,y, and z, because we simply dont know. There is another poster with 250’s that didnt match twice. A lot of weird stuff can happen in match, although rare.

If you want to choose a place to do an away, look at the resident list and see how many DOs they have since you are a DO.

If your goal is to match in NYC, apply to all of them

Last edited:
Do you see what's happening in NYC? That would be the LAST place on my radar right now!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you see what's happening in NYC? That would be the LAST place on my radar right now!
That place will be downright immune in a year (those who are not dead), and so will the OP.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, but I dont know what the purpose of this post is. What are you looking for us to say? Not apply to some programs so you can save $20 and not have a shot at matching into some programs?

We are certainly not going to say “you are gonna match at x,y, and z, because we simply dont know. There is another poster with 250’s that didnt match twice. A lot of weird stuff can happen in match, although rare.

If you want to choose a place to do an away, look at the resident list and see how many DOs they have since you are a DO.

If your goal is to match in NYC, apply to all of them

I'm looking to figure out which programs I'm competitive for. As a DO with an average step score for anesthesia, I know that my chances of matching into a top residency are low. So I'm just looking for good mid-tier programs that I have a good chance of matching at. This way I can focus all my energy on trying to get an audition rotation at those programs. I'm an NJ resident so if I don't stand a chance with any reputable programs in NYC then I'd rather stay in NJ. I appreciate your advice though and will look at resident lists of different programs. I just wanted to see if anyone had direct insight on which programs I should be looking at.

I'm looking to figure out which programs I'm competitive for. As a DO with an average step score for anesthesia, I know that my chances of matching into a top residency are low. So I'm just looking for good mid-tier programs that I have a good chance of matching at. This way I can focus all my energy on trying to get an audition rotation at those programs. I'm an NJ resident so if I don't stand a chance with any reputable programs in NYC then I'd rather stay in NJ. I appreciate your advice though and will look at resident lists of different programs. I just wanted to see if anyone had direct insight on which programs I should be looking at.

your best bet is the programs discussed in your other threads. Monte, downstate, nymc. I would add hofstra and rutgers to the mix.

PM and I can give you specific info about the NY programs if youd like

Hey everyone, I am an OMS-III looking to apply anesthesia. I posted earlier but figured I'd start a new thread since I'm looking for some more directed guidance. At this point, I'm looking to find residencies that I can apply to in which I would be competitive for in NYC. I don't want to be aiming to audition at places that would never take a second look at me.

My stats: USMLE 1 - 233
P/F system for M1 and M2, P/HP received for third year.
Honestly I think my CV is average, nothing extraordinary. I have 2 publications (one from undergrad, one as contributing to a medical review article), no posters. I have a leadership role and volunteer experiences.

I'm trying to develop a list of residencies that would take a serious look at me. Or if anyone could help me get started on how to look into different programs and determine which I am a competitive applicant for. Keep in mind I'm a DO student. Thank you all for your help in advance, I really appreciate it.

Don’t make the mistake of applying locally. You need to apply broad period. Throw out 40 apps get 10-15 interviews. Take them all and make a list. We had a person match with a terrible comlex and no usmle. Your scores are much better I just wouldn’t be picky. That’s usually the downfall of not matching the when you have good scores.

Reactions: 1 users