Picking up extra hours at chain rxs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kool1984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you ever feel obligated to help out (outside of your regularly scheduled hours) at other stores if asked or even at your home store? What if you decline because the proposed time doesn't work with you? How do your Rx managers feel about this? Just trying to gather thoughts on this.
Can you be terminated for not picking up extra hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think they can fire you for not helping extra shift.
I also have lots of calls to help out some sick call, overnight shifts etc.
When I cannot work that shift, i simply say no, but nicely.
The thing is that.. I try to help if I can.
Like.. If i have no other plan, or can find babysitter for my kids, I help them because my district has not many floaters any more. (Used to be a lot, but half of them quitted)

I think I help 40% of the time..

You dont have to feel obligated to pick up extra shifts but think that you might need help later. (Getting sick, or some family emergency)

Last edited:
Right now I'm hourly so I always say yes yes yes because I like making 90ish and hour. A ****ty store/tech/other rph can't even rain on that parade.

No you shouldn't feel guilty. It's not your fault that your chain can't fill the schedule. A random call out here and there is one thing, but at my previous employer there were easily 10-15 open shifts per month that we were constantly being harassed about.

Reactions: 1 user