Picture for Secondary Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebesgue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds anal, which is why SDN is the perfect place to ask it. Does attire matter on the secondary application photograph? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

haha...yeah i wondered about that when i was taking pic...

i didn't wear beater but just pain black T...no tie... :)

i have called some admission...they don't care...(it might be depend on school tho)

i even took a pic at home with my regular camera against the wall...

still i have got some interview...so i think it wasn't a killer...

I believe they just use it to verify your face during the interview...not to reject you if you are ugly or something...

I think a wife-beater is definitely out of the question, but I wouldn't necessary go as far as a suit and tie (your everyday clothes are fine, assuming they do not include wife-beaters ;)). If you can't find a better pic, just cut it so that what you're wearing doesn't show.

And personally, I think you are a very, very violent person. (j/k) :D

C.

Members don't see this ad :)
One would assume that they use it AFTER the interview so that they match the right faces to the right names when they're talking about how the interviews went? So it's totally just a practical thing ... I guess it could potentially be useful to them if you dress the same as in your interview? :D

Originally posted by canadagirl
... I guess it could potentially be useful to them if you dress the same as in your interview? :D

That's what I thought... plus I'm anal ;) I put on the top half of my interview suit and tromped down to Copyworks for a passport photo. Got some strange looks! To the O.P., you are definately NOT the only person analyzing small details like this-- my pre-med friend and I had a long discussion about what to wear for our photos!

i was wearing a tshirt and i took the picture of myself (ya know - pointing at yourself from arms length away) with a digital camera and printed exactly how many copies i needed out (cost: buck 20). it isn't being held against me - they just need it to recognize a face - thats it. just make sure you look kinda the same -

my recipe:
1 jacket
1 tie
1 shirt (unironed)
1 girlfriend
1 wall
1 digital camera

= 25 pictures @ kinkos for about $6.00

look on my face when my friends go: "why do you look so fat in that picture?"
priceless

I thought I would stand out as an applicant by ignoring the "passport type" guideline the school placed on the photo, in favor of a budoir shot of me laid out across black satin sheets resting on tiger-print pillows. For artistic value, I held a 14" thornless red rose in my teeth. Now, if you have the goods for it (I admit, I had to improvise some what), a crotch-pocket is beneficial. But this is only my suggestion.
Best of luck, and God speed.

-Chem

PS. My chemmajor-induced spare tire and wire arms haven't seemed to work against me, so don't let that stop you.

I'm in kind of a predicament, cause when I took my pictures for secondary applications, I had myhead shaved. Since then, I have grown myhair back, and am reluctant to shave it again just for interviews. I'm not sure if by looking slightly different than my initial picture I am compromising my application, so i will probably get my handy clippers out next week and go to work. At least I save on gel products when my hair is really short!!

Does anyone know for sure if you have to be phenotypically identicle to the picture you sent in for secondaries? Not that it is a big deal, just interested.

~JZ

Originally posted by DarkChild
my recipe:
1 jacket
1 tie
1 shirt (unironed)
1 girlfriend
1 wall
1 digital camera

= 25 pictures @ kinkos for about $6.00

look on my face when my friends go: "why do you look so fat in that picture?"
priceless

if you think a girlfriend will only set you back 6 bucks then i don't know what to tell ya

This is a professional application and it should look as professional as possible. I wouldn't be too flippant about the photo. When an adcom spends its 20 seconds with an application, it should give a favorable impression. I think that the top half of your body should look at least "business casual," and the photo should not look like an amateur took it.

I wore a shirt and tie, had my wife take the photo against a off-white wall with a digital camera. I picked the picture I liked best and took it to a camera store in town that takes high quality digital photos and "develops" them on actual chemical photo paper. Total cost was around $8 for 20 pictures and a little bit of my time.

Originally posted by JBJ
I wore a shirt and tie, had my wife take the photo against a off-white wall with a digital camera. I picked the picture I liked best and took it to a camera store in town that takes high quality digital photos and "develops" them on actual chemical photo paper. Total cost was around $8 for 20 pictures and a little bit of my time.

I did the same thing, except your wife didn't take the photos...I did. And I didn't have them professionally developed...I printed them out on semi-gloss paper using my school's Color Laser Jet printer. All-in-all, they turned out well and since they were on paper, it was relatively easy to attach them to apps with a glue stick.

Originally posted by wolferman
I did the same thing, except your wife didn't take the photos...I did. And I didn't have them professionally developed...I printed them out on semi-gloss paper using my school's Color Laser Jet printer. All-in-all, they turned out well and since they were on paper, it was relatively easy to attach them to apps with a glue stick.

glue stick?? what about stapling or taping photos?? maybe that's why i haven't been accepted anywhere yet.;)