Do classes paint a picture of the applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klever

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking over my resume so far, it's hard to understand/see that I have certain interests. However, during college I am taking courses about these interests as some electives to fulfill my geneds and they all have a noticeable theme. Will adcoms be able to see the specific electives I take and then make assumptions of what I'm into based off that? I feel like if they were, they could see the type of person/things I'm into better. Does this matter even at all? Thanks for any and all responses

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your GPA, an application reader may not spend any time looking at what courses you took, or they may have plenty of time on their hands (thinking about some professors emeriti on the adcom who looked at everything!) Sometimes I'll look at see what tripped up an applicant with a 3.98 (that's not bad-- just interesting), and/or if the GPA was helped by years of grades of A for participation in band or chorus. Some adcoms might question the rigor of a course of study that leaned heavily on foreign language, theology, and cultural studies from your own heritage. It is up to you and your letter writer to make the case for why this was a rigorous course of study.

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible that your reviewers might peruse your transcript to get a general sense of the academic rigor and the kinds of courses you chose to take outside of the normal pre-reqs. However, if there is some deeper message or theme that you would like a reviewer to be able to know about you and your application, I highly highly recommend that you connect the dots for them in one of your essays. You don't want to leave something that you think is important up an assumption. What it noticeable to you may not be noticeable to someone who has never met you and likely only has 10-15 minutes to review your application.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible that your reviewers might peruse your transcript to get a general sense of the academic rigor and the kinds of courses you chose to take outside of the normal pre-reqs. However, if there is some deeper message or theme that you would like a reviewer to be able to know about you and your application, I highly highly recommend that you connect the dots for them in one of your essays. You don't want to leave something that you think is important up an assumption. What it noticeable to you may not be noticeable to someone who has never met you and likely only has 10-15 minutes to review your application.
Awesome, that sounds like a good idea.

Depending on your GPA, an application reader may not spend any time looking at what courses you took, or they may have plenty of time on their hands (thinking about some professors emeriti on the adcom who looked at everything!) Sometimes I'll look at see what tripped up an applicant with a 3.98 (that's not bad-- just interesting), and/or if the GPA was helped by years of grades of A for participation in band or chorus. Some adcoms might question the rigor of a course of study that leaned heavily on foreign language, theology, and cultural studies from your own heritage. It is up to you and your letter writer to make the case for why this was a rigorous course of study.
Yea that makes sense, I didn't think of the process like this, thanks!

Will adcoms be able to see the specific electives I take and then make assumptions of what I'm into based off that? I feel like if they were, they could see the type of person/things I'm into better.
I take a contrary perspective. I look at your activities and try to tie it back to your courses. A lot of undergraduate education focuses on capstones, so if I read your description and there are courses related to it, great.

But you have to make a clear through line in your overall application. It doesn't have to be in every essay, but you need to state the obvious if it matters to you.

I take a contrary perspective. I look at your activities and try to tie it back to your courses. A lot of undergraduate education focuses on capstones, so if I read your description and there are courses related to it, great.

But you have to make a clear through line in your overall application. It doesn't have to be in every essay, but you need to state the obvious if it matters to you.
Alright, that sounds fair enough. I guess they are like a knot on top that ties your activities and interests.

Semi-unrelated but do adcoms also consider if you got A+'s in a lot of your courses (even though it doesn't affect GPA)?

Hello,

Looking over my resume so far, it's hard to understand/see that I have certain interests. However, during college I am taking courses about these interests as some electives to fulfill my geneds and they all have a noticeable theme. Will adcoms be able to see the specific electives I take and then make assumptions of what I'm into based off that? I feel like if they were, they could see the type of person/things I'm into better. Does this matter even at all? Thanks for any and all responses
I look for academic excellence, not what you're taking.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

If you have "certain interests" that are important to you, don't make the application readers figure them out. Tell them. Typically those interests will be reflected in something active and can be reflected in an activity or in essays. But don't rely on someone else to "figure it out" either in your application or interview. Make connections and important parts of your story clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Alright, that sounds fair enough. I guess they are like a knot on top that ties your activities and interests.

Semi-unrelated but do adcoms also consider if you got A+'s in a lot of your courses (even though it doesn't affect GPA)?
No

Reactions: 3 users
If you have "certain interests" that are important to you don't make the application readers figure them out. Tell them. Typically those interests will be reflected in something active and can be reflected in an activity or in essays. But don't rely on someone else to "figure it out" either in your application or interview. Make connections and important parts of your story clear.
Ok, awesome, will do when the time comes.

Yeah okay, makes sense.

This is unrelated but how do you even get an A+ in college?

This is unrelated but how do you even get an A+ in college?
It's like a glitch in the matrix. Certain schools don't even seem to know what an A+ is!

Anyhoo, more on topic: I READ THIS THREAD TITLE LITERALLY. Or maybe I really did read it, who knows but now it really IS off-topic!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In any case, I don't think that they have time for that.

I notice A+ when I read an application, if there are a lot of them. I also scan for the type of classes taken, and although I would notice if there are several courses in one subject area, I would not know how important that subject was to you unless you explain it somewhere in your application. My personal preference is to see a wide variety of courses (showing academic curiosity) as well as upper-level science courses (showing academic strength).

Reactions: 4 users