PICU/Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Complications

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a peds resident thinking of PICU. I've notied some PICU directors are dual PICU/Anesthesia trained ... and some programs offer a combination (Hopkins and CHOP). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these programs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've also been looking at those programs (I'm a peds PGY 3), and met one of the Hopkins PICU attendings the other day. From what she and others have said, the fellows/residents are excellently trained, though the 5 year fellowship is tough. You come out certified to managed OR patients and PICU patients, and you come out being good at both. My understanding is that eventually you'll end up choosing one or the other, however, especially since a lot of PICU docs tend to burn out. I'd be very interested what others here have to say though.

I've also been looking at those programs (I'm a peds PGY 3), and met one of the Hopkins PICU attendings the other day. From what she and others have said, the fellows/residents are excellently trained, though the 5 year fellowship is tough. You come out certified to managed OR patients and PICU patients, and you come out being good at both. My understanding is that eventually you'll end up choosing one or the other, however, especially since a lot of PICU docs tend to burn out. I'd be very interested what others here have to say though.

It's interesting ... do you have to choose? Can you find jobs doing both?

It's interesting ... do you have to choose? Can you find jobs doing both?

Again I only know from what people tell me (I have to wait for my wife to finish her peds residency before I apply, so I'm feeling things out right now). Yes, you can find jobs doing both. In fact, I imagine that people are actively looking for someone that versatile. I know that there tend to be a lot of peds anesthesia positions available, and PICUs tend to have fewer attendings than, say, neonatology departments. You may spend a few days in the OR and then come into the unit for a few days. The variety, or the possibility of variety, is what really attracts me: a great understanding of drugs and pharmacology added to the knowledge of the unit.

I suspect that eventually, maybe years, you'll have to pick where you want to be, and anesthesia would probably win since the lifestyle tends to be better. It likely depends on where you choose to work and what you want to do. In the end, it leaves you with many options.