Piercings in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trookie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to have a tongue piercing when I was younger, and eventually took it out because I figured that they must be pretty taboo in dental school. So is this correct? Would a student be looked down on for having a tongue piercing or piercings in general? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

would most people want to have someone performing procedures with body piercings?

Probably not, it tends to give the image of being immature and reckless. At least that's what some faculty told us

You're right. Let me clarify. Would they be looked down upon during the first two pre-clinical years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trookie said:
You're right. Let me clarify. Would they be looked down upon during the first two pre-clinical years?

Probably, simply because dental faculty, by tradition, are a very conservative bunch.

That isn't to say that anybody would ever mention it to you because they might not, but there might be some unverbal ramifications to your decision.

Dental school truly is an excellent place to enter with your head down, which results in you graduating with your head still attached. Don't forget that. The more attention you draw to yourself, the more crap you have to put up with.

Trookie said:
I used to have a tongue piercing when I was younger, and eventually took it out because I figured that they must be pretty taboo in dental school. So is this correct? Would a student be looked down on for having a tongue piercing or piercings in general? Just curious.

I personally don't know of any fellow classmates who had a tongue piercing. However, there can be grave consequences, medically speaking, for those that pierce their tongue (especially the dumbell type). Firstly, you have the risk of developing sepsis because the area that is pierced can provide a feeding ground for bacteria and as you know the tongue is extremely vascular. Secondly, there are risks of acquiring infections from tatoo shops which don't use proper aseptic technique (such as hepatitis B , C). Thirdly, there are dental consequences. There can be some recession on the lingual of the lower incisors , fracture of teeth as well as attrition on the anterior teeth.

http://www.perio.org/consumer/piercing02.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol8no8/01-0458.htm

http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-64/issue-11/803.html

http://www.nhvweb.net/NHHS/tongue piercing.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/399218.stm

They'll mention it to you.... trust me. I agree with Gavin with respect to his advice on keeping a low profile. Be friendly but don't stick out. You want to be noticed for your excellent skills, not your vibrant personality. I've found that dental faculty enjoy the feeling of importance, and they get quickly annoyed if your light is shining brighter than theirs.

dientesfuertes said:
They'll mention it to you.... trust me. I agree with Gavin with respect to his advice on keeping a low profile. Be friendly but don't stick out. You want to be noticed for your excellent skills, not your vibrant personality. I've found that dental faculty enjoy the feeling of importance, and they get quickly annoyed if your light is shining brighter than theirs.

A tongue ring is a violation of our "dress code" As stupid as the thing gets sometimes, it bans people from having any more than one set of earrings, one in each ear and that is it.... They make you have a natural hair color, and no revealing clothes etc..... Its like a prison, but I guess it keeps it professional....

A girl in my class has a tongue ring, and has since we started three years ago. Aside from the occasional razzing she gets from professors if the topic is brought up in class, she's still here with the rest of us.

ItsGavinC said:
Dental school truly is an excellent place to enter with your head down, which results in you graduating with your head still attached. Don't forget that. The more attention you draw to yourself, the more crap you have to put up with.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (Just curious -- more crap from students, faculty, or the administration? ...asked by a person who wishes she was a little less-well known... ;)

r_salis said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (Just curious -- more crap from students, faculty, or the administration? ...asked by a person who wishes she was a little less-well known... ;)

All of the above, but primarily faculty/administration.

There's actually something really nice about fellow classmates not even knowing who you are.

c132 said:
A tongue ring is a violation of our "dress code" As stupid as the thing gets sometimes, it bans people from having any more than one set of earrings, one in each ear and that is it.... They make you have a natural hair color, and no revealing clothes etc..... Its like a prison, but I guess it keeps it professional....

Yikes, now I am applying for some one to be my "mommy"??? What school do you go to? (So I don't end up there, considering I have more than one earing on as we speak.)

I agree with Gavin in that keeping your head down is a good idea, but you will have lot's of patients with tattoos and other "non-conservative" dress. I realize dental school faculty want to keep things professional but how long have women in this country had more than one hole in each of her ears!!!! Sorry it seems very "miltary" that the dress code is that anal for people who are past 4 years of college already.

It reminds me of my dental hygiene program where even our wedding rings had to come off because the prongs on the diamonds were a "universal" precaution. (Basically there is a remote possiblity of them tearing your gloves.) All they allowed us to wear is a watch. NO jewelry. To this day I don't wear my wedding ring out of habit.

Darksunshine said:
Yikes, now I am applying for some one to be my "mommy"???

No, they're facilitating your earning of a professional degree, and as an alumni want you to represent the school in a certain manner.

And patients being non-conservative is another issue entirely (I'm not sure why you brought that up).

ItsGavinC said:
No, they're facilitating your earning of a professional degree, and as an alumni want you to represent the school in a certain manner.

And patients being non-conservative is another issue entirely (I'm not sure why you brought that up).

I bring up the patients because people who have tattoos and peircings are professionals in many jobs. And I think that the traditional conservative faculty of dental school is going to start to see a change in its students. Patients, being a representatives of the population are part of people that could or would apply to dental. I guess you don't have to see the connection for me too. :)