Pig Anatomy Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pointer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I wonder if someone here can help me out. I need a good reference guide for the anatomy of the pig and I suspect people in this forum would be the appropriate folks to ask. I am primarily interested in the location of muscles and their attachments, though internal organs would be a plus. I would prefer something relatively inexpensive which may-or-may-not cover other species. Please let me know if you are aware of anything which fits the bill.
-Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well no one with more experience has answered yet so I thought I'd give it a shot. I just bought some anatomy books and this one has a chapter (small chapter) on pigs. It also includes dogs, cats, horses, ruminants, and birds. This is not a cheap book though, it is one of our text books for anatomy this fall.

Textbook of veterinary anatomy
Dyce
http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Vete...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281320886&sr=8-1

Well no one with more experience has answered yet so I thought I'd give it a shot. I just bought some anatomy books and this one has a chapter (small chapter) on pigs. It also includes dogs, cats, horses, ruminants, and birds. This is not a cheap book though, it is one of our text books for anatomy this fall.

Textbook of veterinary anatomy
Dyce
http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Vete...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281320886&sr=8-1

I have the older edition of Dyce (which runs about $40 instead of $80-90) and it has five small chapters (38 pages) on pig anatomy. Not sure if they just changed the chapter numbering or what. It doesn't seem to have a ton on muscles and attachments, though. It focuses quite a bit more on the organs, skeletal and muscular differences between swine and other large animals.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheers, BlacKat & Parietal. I looked into Dyce, but it doesn't seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I think that Spurgeon's Atlas might be my book, and I can get it used for less money so I'll start there. If that doesn't pan out I'll probably have to buy an actual textbook like Dyce, or there's another one out there by Reece (I think). Thanks for the input.

I'm not really a fan of Dyce, so I would tend to steer you away from that source. Spurgeon's is good, but does not really have a lot of detail. It is a color atlas....pictures without explanation - It's not going to give you the detail you're looking for.

I have not been able to find a good, inexpensive book to suggest. Feel free to PM me with specific questions and I could try to send you some powerpoints with the information.