Clinical year reference text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rd2vetmed

Shelter Vet <3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books do you guys recommend for clinical year? Pocket books?

Does anyone have any opinion of the nerdbook vs the mini vet guide book?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Mini Vet Guide is awesome for small animal. Dr. Poli did a great job with his book, and he's a super nice guy. I helped organize a fundraiser selling MVG last semester and he was great to work with.

Never seen the nerd book, sorry!

Large animal/equine need a nerd book, but I haven't found one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just googled on my phone or used texts stored in various rounds rooms.

That's what I did.

I had Nerdbook - used it maybe once. If that.
I had CVA - and I use it occasionally at work, but I never used it fourth year.
I had Plumbs - used it once or twice at home, but you can VIN that stuff.
I had Ettinger - actually used Ettinger three/four times, but if someone hadn't gifted it to me it would never be worth the normal cost.

By and large all the clinical info I needed I got from texts at school, or from googling and using my brain to decide if the source was reasonable/valid/etc. There are a lot of vet school or teaching hospital web pages out there at the various hospitals.

Just as one example, when I was on Neuro I had to brush up on the neuro exam and how to localize and all that stuff.... a quick google gives you a bunch of resources that are probably reasonably reliable. Like:
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/sites/cliniciansbrief.com/files/7.pdf
http://todaysveterinarypractice.nav...15/02/TVP_2013_Neuro_CranialNerve_Handout.pdf
https://ams.aaha.org/eweb/images/AA...03_technician/158_THE NEUROLOGICAL EXAMIN.pdf
http://www.cuvs.org/pdf/pdflinks/Ortho Neuro Exams.pdf
Neurologic Exam

and on and on.

The important part is just making sure your resource is a good source of information.

I use books (a couple of them) far more now than I did in vet school.

I actually gave away my nerdbook and other "clinical reference books" to students last year. Found that in addition to not using them in school, I don't use them in practice. *shrug*

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I did.

I had Nerdbook - used it maybe once. If that.
I had CVA - and I use it occasionally at work, but I never used it fourth year.
I had Plumbs - used it once or twice at home, but you can VIN that stuff.
I had Ettinger - actually used Ettinger three/four times, but if someone hadn't gifted it to me it would never be worth the normal cost.

By and large all the clinical info I needed I got from texts at school, or from googling and using my brain to decide if the source was reasonable/valid/etc. There are a lot of vet school or teaching hospital web pages out there at the various hospitals.

Just as one example, when I was on Neuro I had to brush up on the neuro exam and how to localize and all that stuff.... a quick google gives you a bunch of resources that are probably reasonably reliable. Like:
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/sites/cliniciansbrief.com/files/7.pdf
http://todaysveterinarypractice.nav...15/02/TVP_2013_Neuro_CranialNerve_Handout.pdf
https://ams.aaha.org/eweb/images/AAHAnet/phoenix2009proceedings/pdfs/03_technician/158_THE NEUROLOGICAL EXAMIN.pdf
http://www.cuvs.org/pdf/pdflinks/Ortho Neuro Exams.pdf
Neurologic Exam

and on and on.

The important part is just making sure your resource is a good source of information.

I use books (a couple of them) far more now than I did in vet school.

I actually gave away my nerdbook and other "clinical reference books" to students last year. Found that in addition to not using them in school, I don't use them in practice. *shrug*

The only part of the nerdbook that I use in practice is the chart that gives calorie amounts for patients for specific weights. I use it to guide clients on how much they really should be feeding their pet. Basically photocopied that page and have the chart posted on the cork board behind my desk. Otherwise, I don't touch that book anymore.

Hey OP. I'm currently a fourth year student and am a big fan of reference texts. Unlike many of my classmates, I used texts to supplement my ppt slides and classroom learning throughout vet school. I have continued that pattern throughout clinical year. I use/like different texts for different purposes. Are you a SA person? If so, here are my recommendations (with added editorial as to the benefits of each).

-Differential Diagnosis in Small Animal Medicine,
2nd edition, Gough and Murphy (2015): In my opinion, the best compilation of SA differentials on the market. Make no mistake about it, this is a book of lists. When a resident in SA med asks you 'what are your top ddx for thrombocytopenia,' this is the text to turn to. I prefer the organization of this text to another popular text of differentials (listed below), but both get the job done.

-Small Animal Medical Differential Diagnosis,
Thompson (2014): Serves the same purpose as above, less well organized in my opinion.

-The Small Animal Veterinary Nerdbook, 3rd edition, Yin (2010): I find the Nerdbook useful when I need a quick overview of a topic and don't have the time to read a full section in Ettinger. It's a good 'Cliff Notes' to various categories of vet med. Not my go to text for specifics.

-Guide to Small Animal Clinics, 3rd edition, Pasquini and Pasquini (2011): The organization of this text (and its companion volumes for Equine and Bovine med) take some getting used to- it's a bit haphazard. Once you get the hang of it, though, this text is great for clinical signs and treatment options. Warning: the most recent edition was published in 2011, so some of the newer therapeutics are not present. That being said, still very helpful for clinical presentation and treatment approach. Recommended. Spend some time with it before you need to use it practically.

-Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs, 4th edition, Papich (2016): This text has a special place in my heart as it's authored by the amazing pharmacologist who teaches at my school (I had him autograph it for me). I also love pharm- it was my favorite class in vet school. Some folks are partial to Plumb's, I'm a Papich fan. Either way, investing in a vetted formulary will serve you well down the line. Helped me a lot during my SA Internal Med rotation (also used it throughout third year).

-Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology,
2nd edition, Stockham and Scott (2008): I straight-up LOVE this text. I bought it per recommendation of one of our clin path instructors second year to supplement my class learning. It's fantastic. Ddx lists broken down by chemistry analyte- plus everything you ever wanted to know about mechanism. Quality sections on ALL aspects of the discipline. One of my favorite texts.

-Ettinger- your school's rounds room will have a current copy. Don't lug it around. I have an older version as it was gifted to me by a mid-career vet, and use it occasionally for topic overviews. Not great for quick info.

-Field specific references. I have several for lab animal med, the specialty I hope to enter post-graduation. Again, each has its benefits/drawbacks. I recommend investing in texts that will help you later on down the line. Best thing about texts (versus class lectures/notes) is the index. Very helpful in finding specific information when you're in a pinch.

I must confess, I'm not currently a big user of VIN. I peruse it occasionally, and may get into it later once I've graduated, but it's not currently a draw for me. I like the feel of paper in my hands.

Good luck! Look forward to clinical year- it's one crazy ride. Best year of vet school, by far!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input will definitely look into them!
@Lab Vet yup I'm small animal Thanks for all the break down of all those reference books, really appreciate it.
I usually google stuff but I also love books.