PIH - Downey FP Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a R3 at PIH Downey (formerly known as Downey Regional Med Center). Wanted to put a quick plug out there to anyone that wants to apply or rotate here. This program has been really great and I would highly recommend it!

We already have a ton of applicants for our 7 spots but if you are really serious, get in touch with me.

Also, wanted to clear up some confusion that is out there. We are the highest paying DO FP program in the state ($51k, $53k, $55k). Our website has us listed at $42,000 which is pretty sad. The correcting of this glaring error is working itself through the typical IT bureaucracy and will likely be fixed soon. I believe the info on opportunities.osteopathic.org is correct.

We had some problems historically with a really poor PD and DME. Those days are done!!! We just got our old PD back and they are in the process of hiring a really wonderful DME guy. Everything I have read about him and heard is top-notch. Things are really glorious here! Both those guys are peppered and approachable.

PIH has poured about $100m into renovations of our facility. It is (becoming) lovely!

Unopposed. Free food. 20 PTO. Amazing location (I live in Huntington Beach). UTD subscription. Great attendings. DEA, level 3, AOA membership, boards all paid for plus a $1k stipend for boards. Combank (Truelearn) subscription paid for. One month in your 3rd year you get to be the clinic/ED doc on Catalina Island Med Center (amazing rotation).

We are applying for ACGME accreditation and should be effective for everyone in the program starting this year (including me!)

I am putting together an informational ppt. on behalf of the program and will be willing to post here when complete.

We have available rotations and Sub-internships (Medicine and ICU, ICU is brand new with a newly minted pulm doctor that will be signing us all off on all the procedures). If you are interested contact Donna or Tiffany (their info is on the AOA website)

Anyway, please only reach out to me if you are really serious. As you can see we are very competitive but I wanted to reach out in case any of you guys had questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a cool program. Assuming it gets ACGME accreditation on schedule, do you have any idea if it would move to the NRMP match or stay in the NMS match? Or both?

No idea. It will likely do what all programs do. My guess is the NMS will become obsolete?

We will 100% get accredited. We are applying now. I have been assured that we will get "pre-accreditation" status this year. There is a PIH in Whittier, CA which is MD so it will be easy for us to partner up with them (another huge benefit for our program; our hospital was bought 2 years ago by PIH so it is going to open a ton of opportunity for both of our hospitals to collaborate).

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in the Downey Program. How can I get in contact with you?

Not sure if MDs will be able to apply. . I am guessing there must be some sort of track for an MD to go to the new FP/OMM residencies...

futuredoc19000, you can PM me.

@thepoopologist, I rotated over with Dr. Multani twice during that time. Perhaps our paths crossed? We are still using paper charts and transitioning to EMR; the second phase should start in the next month or two.