• Scariest Story Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

Pimping at Interviews?

UDgerl

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
10
0
  1. Medical Student
    Where have people interviewed that there was pimping involved? The only program I have heard of doing this is MGH but I read on another thread that UT-San Antonio is, too. :confused:

    You're advice/forewarning is appreciated!
     

    Winged Scapula

    Cougariffic!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Verified Expert
    Apr 9, 2000
    39,960
    18,692
    forums.studentdoctor.net
    1. Attending Physician
      UDgerl said:
      Where have people interviewed that there was pimping involved? The only program I have heard of doing this is MGH but I read on another thread that UT-San Antonio is, too. :confused:

      You're advice/forewarning is appreciated!

      I was pimped a bit at Christiana in Delaware. Of course, that was 5 years ago and only by 1 faculty member (and older one), so perhaps that may not be accurate anymore.
       

      FliteSurgn

      This space for rent.
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 15, 2003
      330
      5
      1. Attending Physician
        I remember interviewing with a pediatric surgeon at Nebraska. After the cursory review of my credentials, he said, "Why don't you tell me everything you know about neisidioblastosis." Of course I could give him an eloquent answer now, but at that point in my medical career I could sum that knowledge up in 3 words (I don't know). Come to find out, he always asked something that he was pretty sure no medical student could answer. He just wanted to see if you could admit that or if you'd try to dig yourself into a hole.
         
        About the Ads

        Roux-en-Y

        Member
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Oct 16, 2004
        64
        0
          I have heard of people being pimped at Arkansas interviews (no personal experience).

          Most places, an interviewer wanted you to recall an intersting patient/case; and I would occassionally get pimped about that. Of course, I usually knew the answers to those questions!
           

          UDgerl

          Junior Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Nov 24, 2005
          10
          0
          1. Medical Student
            Thanks for the responses. I had a faculty member ask if "they still gave a test" at MGH when I told her I had an interview. After asking around the residents had mentioned a group of faculty used to interview each applicant and it was basically a pimp session. Nice to hear that no one has had such a bad experience!
             

            shag

            Supreme Procrastinator
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jul 28, 2002
            293
            2
              I recall getting "pimped" at U Miami. He threw a soft ball basic trauma patient at me. After saying my ABC's and mentioning rads and labs, he cut me off by saying that he just wanted to make sure I could "think on my feet".
               

              UDgerl

              Junior Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Nov 24, 2005
              10
              0
              1. Medical Student
                Pimping is being quizzed. Usually it infers being asked technical questions during a procedure or on rounds by the attending or an upper level. In the interview connotation it means being asked factual/surgical questions rather than the typical interview questions.
                 

                ggx12

                Junior Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jun 29, 2005
                20
                0
                  UDgerl said:
                  Pimping is being quizzed. Usually it infers being asked technical questions during a procedure or on rounds by the attending or an upper level. In the interview connotation it means being asked factual/surgical questions rather than the typical interview questions.

                  and why is this bad?
                   

                  UDgerl

                  Junior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Nov 24, 2005
                  10
                  0
                  1. Medical Student
                    If being given a pseudo-oral exam isn't something that would catch you off guard while interviewing then its not bad. And since you ask the question it would seemingly not bother you. Good for you. Personally I like to have as good an idea as possible what I may be walking in on. Like most things anticipation and preparation are invaluable and this forum helps all of us to share our experiences in order to be as ready as possible.
                     

                    Roux-en-Y

                    Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Oct 16, 2004
                    64
                    0
                      UDgerl said:
                      If being given a pseudo-oral exam isn't something that would catch you off guard while interviewing then its not bad. And since you ask the question it would seemingly not bother you. Good for you. Personally I like to have as good an idea as possible what I may be walking in on. Like most things anticipation and preparation are invaluable and this forum helps all of us to share our experiences in order to be as ready as possible.


                      $hit happens.
                      Get over it. ;)
                       

                      jenwishmd

                      New Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      Sep 18, 2005
                      3
                      0
                      1. Medical Student
                        Roux-en-Y said:
                        I have heard of people being pimped at Arkansas interviews (no personal experience).

                        Most places, an interviewer wanted you to recall an intersting patient/case; and I would occassionally get pimped about that. Of course, I usually knew the answers to those questions!

                        Yeah my friend said they looked at her Personal statement and said "This is too long" and then put it aside and didn't speak to her anymore. Another said "your USMLE score sucked...why?"
                         
                        About the Ads

                        FliteSurgn

                        This space for rent.
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jul 15, 2003
                        330
                        5
                        1. Attending Physician
                          I think I was at the University of Oklahoma interviewing with the program director. After some chit-chat, he said, "Given your background as an engineer, can you explain to me the physical and biomechanical elements or forces that would allow you to describe which is the best method to repair inguinal hernias?" That was fun. :laugh:
                           

                          Roux-en-Y

                          Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          Oct 16, 2004
                          64
                          0
                            dinosaurcrumpet said:
                            It's not. It's a wonderful experience. It's especially great when you haven't studied the material in months and don't know the answers. I just love sitting there like a ******* saying "uh, I dunno" over and over. It's a distinctly edifying process. :thumbup:

                            Perhaps you should consider reviewing the material beforehand :smuggrin:
                             

                            Roux-en-Y

                            Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            7+ Year Member
                            Oct 16, 2004
                            64
                            0
                              shag said:
                              I recall getting "pimped" at U Miami. He threw a soft ball basic trauma patient at me. After saying my ABC's and mentioning rads and labs, he cut me off by saying that he just wanted to make sure I could "think on my feet".

                              I had the same exact experience at LSU-New Orleans.
                               

                              jc7721

                              Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Sep 14, 2003
                              128
                              4
                              1. Attending Physician
                                It's been two years since I interviewed, but from what I remember there was the occassional pimping.

                                At UCSD they asked me and basically everyone else to recall a recent memorable surgical case, and they wanted details like intra-op stuff, pre-op workup etc, etc. The idea (and they freely admitted this) was to hear how well you could speak the language and think on your feet: they would throw a few questions in there to see if you REALLY knew the case. But not bad if you prepared a case.

                                Colorado had the same thing

                                MGH most definately gets the pimping award; for one of your three interviews you sit around a table of 6-7 faculty who, after a brief couple of seconds of small talk, proceed to pimp you on all things general surgery for the next 20-40 minutes. Nerve racking, nothin else to say. They even had people read xrays! I'll admit that it was a little fun, nonetheless.

                                The following programs did not pimp me: UCSF (except about my research), UW, Emory, Maryland, Northwestern, WashU, Michigan (except research), Brigham, Wisconsin
                                 

                                avgjoe

                                Senior Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Aug 12, 2004
                                315
                                1
                                  MGH most definately gets the pimping award; for one of your three interviews you sit around a table of 6-7 faculty who, after a brief couple of seconds of small talk, proceed to pimp you on all things general surgery for the next 20-40 minutes. Nerve racking, nothin else to say. They even had people read xrays! I'll admit that it was a little fun, nonetheless.

                                  So JC (and others who've been to MGH), how would you recommend preparing for this? Are the questions case based? Will a review of surgical recall do it? Many of us haven't been on surgical sub-i's for a few months, so don't know how much of that knowledge is still with me!
                                   

                                  ExtraCrispy

                                  Funky chicken
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  Aug 3, 2005
                                  208
                                  2
                                  Rockin the henhouse
                                    I'm with avgjoe - can anyone give ideas about the best preparation for this lethal pimp session??

                                    I've tried studying the basic science behind anything that I mentioned in my personal statement, etc., and I prepared a couple of cases (on which I've already been pimped), but as far as prepping myself for a round robin oral exam, I've no clue what to do. :confused: :scared: :eek:
                                     
                                    ExtraCrispy said:
                                    I'm with avgjoe - can anyone give ideas about the best preparation for this lethal pimp session??

                                    I've tried studying the basic science behind anything that I mentioned in my personal statement, etc., and I prepared a couple of cases (on which I've already been pimped), but as far as prepping myself for a round robin oral exam, I've no clue what to do. :confused: :scared: :eek:

                                    Hi there,

                                    I was asked what structures would be hit by a bullet fired into the sixth ICS on the left at the midclavicular line.

                                    I was asked to explain the types of thyroid cancer and rank them in order of incidence and mortality.

                                    I was asked to explain how I would close a midline abdominal incision that extended from the xiphoid process to the pubis. Which layers would I have to close and with which sutures. How would I make the incision in the first place and what structures could be injured while making this incision?

                                    That was the extent of my pimping.

                                    njbmd :)
                                     

                                    jc7721

                                    Member
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Sep 14, 2003
                                    128
                                    4
                                    1. Attending Physician
                                      It's almost impossible to prepare for from a content standpoint. If you get visually flustered easily by pimping (i.e. you get flushed, voice changes, sweating, etc, etc) then it will show load and clear, to your disadvantage. Being relaxed is key, but hard to prepare for.

                                      I was asked the following (these are what I remember)

                                      name 6 reasons why someone would show up to a surgery clinic jaundiced

                                      the initial management of someone with a massive GI bleed

                                      the differences between internal/external hemorrhoids and management

                                      the blood supply/venouse drainage to the colon

                                      I was asked to read a CXR that was actually a barium swallow showing a paraesophageal hernia, then asked to describe the differences between sliding and para esophageal hernias and their management
                                       
                                      About the Ads
                                      This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                      Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                      1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      7. This thread is locked.