Pimping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not even right, the guy wasn't extrapolating. It was more a question of sample size

Exactly. I can imagine the smugness with which Doudline hit the "Post Reply" button, which makes it all the more hilarious as he completely misunderstood what he was quoting.

Members don't see this ad.

Jesus Christ. I've been out of medical school for less than 4 years and already they're being filled with bull**** millennial crybabies?

Yesterday a patient asked me what side effects to expect when I started her on cyclosporine. I told her that her microaggressions against me would not be tolerated, and then I took my blankie and had a half hour nap on a carpet sample.

I just ****ing spit coffee all over my computer. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
I completely agree that it is not OK and should not happen. But I also think that if it does happen a 25 y/o medical student should be able to handle it.

While I'd agree that they shouldn't have a nervous breakdown, why should they just suck it up and never tell anyone?

If that continues to happen, we'll never get rid of the real abuse that can and does happen in training.

And before people jump on me, I'm not talking about rolling eyes, expressing disappointment, etc. I'm talking about the truly terrible things people in this thread have mentioned.

And to wherever mentioned people being grateful for harsh critiques, I think that's also a product of the system. It's a coping mechanism. "If they harsh system didn't make me better in the end, why did I put up with it?"

(PS I won't be 25 until my first year of residency, does that mean I don't have to cope? Haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
9 times out of 10 it doesn't

Oh please. If an attending tells the medical students to go jump out a four-story window at least 3 out of 10 who want to go into Ortho will do so reflexively. I understand your general point and agree with it completely, but medical students as a group are not insubordinate.

Last edited:
Research clearly shows that education based on domination/humiliation/authority yields very poor outcomes in every sphere (competence, self-confidence, etc) or so.

It's simply an excuse for bullies to continue feeding their superiority complex.
no it doesnt

Research clearly shows that the military effectively trains some losers to becomd highly responsible and contributory, well disciplined citizens. And its all based on humiliation

Reactions: 1 users
You can start here for example: http://www.parentingscience.com/authoritarian-parenting.html

Lot's of Internet sources for you, dear.

"American adolescents have reported that teens with authoritarian parents were the least likely to feel socially accepted by their peers. They were also rated as less self-reliant"

"When researchers questioned 231 young adolescents about their cultural values and experiences with peers, they found that kids from authoritarian homes were more likely to have experienced bullying -- both as victims and perpetrators"

"In Dutch studies, kids with authoritarian parents were rated as less helpful and less popular by their teachers and classmates. They were also rated as less mature in their reasoning about moral issues"

"In Dutch studies, kids with authoritarian parents were rated as less helpful and less popular by their teachers and classmates. They were also rated as less mature in their reasoning about moral issues"

"Melissa Kamins and Carol Dweck have shown that a common tactic of authoritarian caregiving--shaming a child for poor performance--can make kids perform more poorly on problem-solving tasks"

"experiments suggest that people learn better from positive feedback than from negative feedback, and this may be especially true for kids"

"a study of adolescents in the San Francisco Bay Area found that the authoritarian parenting style was linked with lower school grades for all ethnic groups"

etc etc. And a quick Google search -tell me if you have difficulty with typing "authoritarian education" in the search engine! I will be glad to help- will yield thousands more result.
Ur attendings arent your parents. They are there to make sure you come out well trained so that when you are an attending you dont make them and their institution look like trash. How well you are trained is a direct reflection on them. Faster you understand that the better. Mmmk, cupcake?

Reactions: 1 user
no it doesnt

Research clearly shows that the military effectively trains some losers to becomd highly responsible and contributory, well disciplined citizens. And its all based on humiliation
We call that esprit de corps...

This post was nowhere near as clever as you thought it was.

yR5MOD3.jpg

I'm still waiting on my 10-12 external manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease. All we got here is inflammatory forum syndrome.

It is the attending who doesn't pimp you that you should worry about.

Reactions: 4 users
I totally get asking difficult questions and expecting high standards, but there's literally no reason to ever be a dick to someone.
It's uncomfortable, it's supposed to be. There some validity to having to think and respond and get over the fact that someone just kicked you in the balls, and DO YOUR DAMN JOB.

It is the attending who doesn't pimp you that you should worry about.

Yeah, I definitely had a few chill attending I enjoyed working with during med school, who never broke anyone's balls, but if I honestly look back to see who I learned most from it really wasn't them. It was the SOB I was afraid to show up unprepared in front of who got me to crack the books more intently. Unfortunate, but that's really the kind of motivation that works best for many med students. To be fair this isn't even unique to med school -- the nemesis in the book/movie/TV series the Paper Chase is the model of the classic ball-busting Harvard law professor who gets the most out of his students much the same way.

Yes, but it's quite possible for a student to be pimped on a patient (s)he just picked up that morning. In such a case, the student will most likely not have had time to read the UTD or Medscape article on the patient's conditions.
Yeah those suck. Worse when they say. Didn't u learn this in the first 2 years, and it clearly was not a topic to be taught those years.

Guys at this point I'm not sure OP is even reading this thread but I'll bite.

You sound like I did the beginning of third year and I'm going to tell you how/ why you should work through it.

I learned less in the hospital and had to study more at home. If you cling to the "nice" or off service residents, don't make yourself available to do things or yes, be pimped, a lot of them will notice you/teach you less. If you don't know pimp questions about your patient at rounds each morning, sometimes they invest less. Some don't invest at all. That's fine, you can't change that. Have it be your goal though, to look like a student they can work with. This means sucking down the tears (literally did this on ICU rotation) and giving a nod when you are corrected or PIMPed. It means looking things up on your patient every morning, especially if you are not as quick on your feet during rounds, with the team staring at you. And it means being cool under pressure ie blunting the fight or flight response that we were all born with. This is not a skill to be discounted and when you learn it you will be very proud of yourself.

You might be among the more sensitive on the spectrum- work on it early and you will reap the rewards, because unfortunately this culture does kind of persist. Let the demands and the humbling moments roll off your back/ let them drive you in a positive way and maintain your confidence, because this is kind of what the road is like during training. The fact that you are looking for help here means 1. You are less cynical than me and 2. You are probably going to be able to work through this.

Regarding my own sensitivity, anyone so much as dares to cough the words "life coach" at me.....