PinnacleHealth Ortho is a big disappointment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthodoctfemur

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My good friends brother goes to Pinnaclehealth in Harrisburg for orthopedic residency. Apparently, none of the attendings teach or let you operate. The entire program centers around what can the residents do for the attendings. Attendings do not help with academics at all: this means, no attending grand rounds, no attendings in the cadaveur lab, no attendings in fracture conference. Most of the attendings hardly even teach in the OR or let you participate. Apparently, you can be assured of one thing in this program: when you graduate you will be a damned good first assist. I heard the attendings choose favorites and many of the residents fall between the cracks and gain virtually no experience using their hands.
I was very dissapointed to hear all of this. The pinnacehealth ortho docs have learned to use the residents as free labor and have shown no interest in teaching. The residents at this program that I have talked to feel betrayed and let down by this program. In addition, they get almost not office experience and spend most of their PGY-2 and 3 years holding suction for attendings that laught when show an intrest in operating. I would not consider this program if I were you.

Members don't see this ad.

My good friends brother goes to Pinnaclehealth in Harrisburg for orthopedic residency. Apparently, none of the attendings teach or let you operate. The entire program centers around what can the residents do for the attendings. Attendings do not help with academics at all: this means, no attending grand rounds, no attendings in the cadaveur lab, no attendings in fracture conference. Most of the attendings hardly even teach in the OR or let you participate. Apparently, you can be assured of one thing in this program: when you graduate you will be a damned good first assist. I heard the attendings choose favorites and many of the residents fall between the cracks and gain virtually no experience using their hands.
I was very dissapointed to hear all of this. The pinnacehealth ortho docs have learned to use the residents as free labor and have shown no interest in teaching. The residents at this program that I have talked to feel betrayed and let down by this program. In addition, they get almost not office experience and spend most of their PGY-2 and 3 years holding suction for attendings that laught when show an intrest in operating. I would not consider this program if I were you.

First let me say... I just matched here, so I might be a little biased, but what you have said is a lot of rubbish mixed in with some lies. This is only your first post, so 1) you are either a troll or 2) you are trying to protect your identity, or 3) you are bitter. Either way, it smells fishy, with a s*** load of inaccuracies.

So you have 3rd person hear-say? I rotated there, which means my experiences are first-hand. Let me dissect your comments....

You say that there is no interest from attendings in academics??? Likewise, you say that they don't let the residents operate??? I can say that on my auditions, residents were operating quite a lot, and not just providing suction. I saw a 1 do most of a nail, 2 and 3's doing the joints until they make a mistake, etc. etc.... Point is, that I saw with my own eyes residents operating quite a bit. Their proficiency was on par or better than all other places I went to (went to 5 different auditions). Most of the attendings were quite relaxed, letting residents operate until they needed help or made a mistake (which was pretty standard at all places). All I can say is that what you mentioned is false.

Next you said that they don't care about academics??? and that they don't participate in grand rounds, cadaver lab or fracture conference??? Honestly, this is 100% false, and an absolute lie. Grad rounds: there were at least 9 attendings there, all involved in discussion and questioning other residents. Fracture conference: mandatory for the house attendings at the community hospital. Maybe 12 attendings there, all going over fractures of the week. Also there were journal clubs held at attendings homes with various other attendings and reps there to add to the discussion. As a student, I was impressed how much the attendings were involved with the program and cared about its residents (many were once residents at Pinnacle). How about the 2 times I saw during my month where attendings stayed after work to help with a modulation on kyphoplasty and then went out with us afterwards to grab a drink. You are so far off on this statement I truly question your intent on posting here. This alone is so far from the truth that I am leaning to think that you are a troll.

Residents felt betrayed??? Didn't get this feeling. Actually most of them were quite proud of the program, and felt their education was top-notch. Not my words, theirs (i.e. from their mouth to my ears, and not 3rd rate info).

Favorites??? Again false. The residents spend a month on an attending's services, rounding and operating with them. You spend a month on each attending's service (much like the Mayo philosophy), and there is no other resident on your service, thus no room for favorites. Even if an attending liked one resident over another, that resident is assigned to that service and will be involved in all of their operations, and no other residents are scrubbed. Pinnacle has something like 33 attendings on service, thus there are more attendings than residents. Your statements hold no weight or plausibility.

Office experience??? There is a resident-run clinic, where there are maybe 10-15 residents and one attending. It occurs about twice a week. Any case that comes through the door is that resident's. The attending must scrub that case and help the resident through the case. It is mandatory. The program isn't office heavy, but there is PLENTY of time in clinic, where you book the case, you operate and the attending helps. Didn't see a resident run clinic at any place I went to other than Columbus. Point is, there is office time, but it isn't daily (like many programs). And the clinic is used to get you more cases!

In closing, pretty much all of your comments are off-based. I highly doubt that you have a true understanding of the program. In general, the residents and attendings get along very well. They show a great interest in the program, give much of their time to the betterment of the residents, and made the residents feel like part of the team. Out of the 5 places I went, Pinnacle's attendings were the most involved in furthering, strengthening and giving to the program. There is plenty of operating experience. If you knew anything at all about this program, you would know that it is OR heavy. Cases are turned over, day in and day out. Residents are involved up to their respective levels. Often saw cases with 4s and 5's scrubbed and the attendings just observing unscrubbed. It is unfortunate that your post attempts to per-sway impressionable students away from this program. This is extremely strong program, and nearly every point you have mentioned I have seen to be false. The residents were sharp, got along well, and all operated a ton.

My mom's cousin's brother-in-law's grandmother had went to Bangkok, does that mean that I know what it is like??? My recommendation is to ask students who rotated there (like myself) or residents of their program to get an idea of the program. Don't rely on third-rate information, as it is VERY inaccurate as demonstrated by your post.

Last edited:
First let me say... I just matched here, so I might be a little biased, but what you have said is a lot of rubbish mixed in with some lies. This is only your first post, so 1) you are either a troll or 2) you are trying to protect your identity, or 3) you are bitter. Either way, it smells fishy, with a s*** load of inaccuracies.

I'm thinking #3

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I have heard nothing but stellar things about Pinnacle and in my mind it is one of the very top AOA ortho residencies. Second of all, it is very poor form to slander ANY residency, even if you have rotated there (which you have not). Especially, if what you heard was while playing a game of telephone.

Oh yeah, and I agree with the small testicles.

Probably wanted a spot there and didn't match, now is out to slander the program

I'm thinking it may even be more then that. My bets on a "ranked to match" call and was left scrambling.

I'm thinking it may even be more then that. My bets on a "ranked to match" call and was left scrambling.

Could be... Either way, I wanted to set the record straight.

Lol. Real funny guys. Hanky1982, maybe I’m wrong about pinnacle, im just going off what my contacts told me. I was a little peeved when I heard all this and I think it came out in my post. These guys were not happy and I guess I was disappointed to hear all of that b/c pinnacle actually has a good reputation and I had been planning on rotating there. I wasn’t told anything about their resident-run clinic. I’m just trying to do my research on these programs before I set up my rotations. I only get 3 away rotations! So I have to choose wisely. The best info will come from the residents. Have any of you heard anything about Columbus’s program or do you know any of there residents? I can’t seem to find any of their contact information online. I heard it is supposed to be another high-volume program. I’ve heard questionable things about their didactics though.
PCOM looks promising…I got in touch with one of their PGY-2s yesterday. He had good things to say but like Pinnacle, it sounds like you don’t get to do a lot in the OR, early on anyway. That was his biggest complaint. That’s a common thread I’m gathering from many of these programs. Too much first-assisting and not enough operating. Also, apparently at PCOM you have to do out-rotations in hand and pediatrics, which might be a pain. They do have clinic with attendings (which I am told is an awesome experience) but they don’t go to the office with the attendings.* Im not sure how important that is. And from what I’ve been told, you won’t have a shot at Columbus or PCOM if your COMLEX isn’t 600+.
The other program I’m considering is Garden City, Michigan. I know one of the PGY 3s here. Strong academics: Miller review, daily powerpoint lectures, OITE question review, and fracture conference. They also have a cadaveur lab. Attending involvement is something I’ve been told to consider and they have a strong presence here. Once again, some residents do more than others in the OR depending on how well-liked they are.
Im also looking into Pontiac and genesys so if anybody knows anything please contribute to the thread.

Lol. Real funny guys. Hanky1982, maybe I'm wrong about pinnacle, im just going off what my contacts told me. I was a little peeved when I heard all this and I think it came out in my post. These guys were not happy and I guess I was disappointed to hear all of that b/c pinnacle actually has a good reputation and I had been planning on rotating there. I wasn't told anything about their resident-run clinic. I'm just trying to do my research on these programs before I set up my rotations. I only get 3 away rotations! So I have to choose wisely. The best info will come from the residents. Have any of you heard anything about Columbus's program or do you know any of there residents? I can't seem to find any of their contact information online. I heard it is supposed to be another high-volume program. I've heard questionable things about their didactics though.
PCOM looks promising…I got in touch with one of their PGY-2s yesterday. He had good things to say but like Pinnacle, it sounds like you don't get to do a lot in the OR, early on anyway. That was his biggest complaint. That's a common thread I'm gathering from many of these programs. Too much first-assisting and not enough operating. Also, apparently at PCOM you have to do out-rotations in hand and pediatrics, which might be a pain. They do have clinic with attendings (which I am told is an awesome experience) but they don't go to the office with the attendings.* Im not sure how important that is. And from what I've been told, you won't have a shot at Columbus or PCOM if your COMLEX isn't 600+.
The other program I'm considering is Garden City, Michigan. I know one of the PGY 3s here. Strong academics: Miller review, daily powerpoint lectures, OITE question review, and fracture conference. They also have a cadaveur lab. Attending involvement is something I've been told to consider and they have a strong presence here. Once again, some residents do more than others in the OR depending on how well-liked they are.
Im also looking into Pontiac and genesys so if anybody knows anything please contribute to the thread.

Couple things, first, you have a contact, which is from a third person relaying info. You do not have contacts. Point being is that you heard something from someone who heard something. If you want a reflection of the Pinnacle program, look at my post above. It is honest and from my first-hand experiences. In your original post you mentioned hearing info from one resident, now it is your "contacts" and these "guys." Along with the title of this thread (bad mouthing a program), it comes across as a little brash and slightly suspect.

I think more importantly, and maybe this is just how you communicate via forums, is the way you talk about other programs. You make back-handed comments about two other solid programs (Columbus and PCOM). It is my recommendation that rather than say... "I heard bad things about the Columbus or PCOM programs", ask people what they think. If your speculations are true, they will come out. By coming on this forum and spouting negative comments about programs (which are not true in my opinion about the Pinnacle, Columbus and the PCOM programs) you come across as someone who is just here to throw dirt on programs when in actuality you have no first-hand experience with any of them. Combine this with your only other post of false comments, it makes you appear that you are a troll or are trying to discourage others from going to programs you are actually interested in (which may or may not be true).

With all of that said, and in case that you truly are interested in knowing more about the programs (rather than spreading rumors) I'll answer to a few of your points. Didactics at Columbus is strong, but it is in a different form. Most programs have daily didactics ranging about an hour. Columbus does this differently by doing didactics all in one day (Wednesday mornings at Grant if I remember correctly). So rather than meet daily, all residents convene once a week and have fx conference, didactics, etc in one meeting. As for board scores, 600+ COMLEX is pretty much standard at the top tier programs (PCOM, Columbus, Pinnacle, etc). Know that if you want to go to these programs, you should want to have above a 600 so you aren't behind the eight-ball when compared to your competition. I can't comment on PCOM or Garden City as I didn't rotate at these programs. If interested in more info on the Pontiac and Genesys programs PM me directly, as my comments on these programs will lead to more rambling, so I'll spare you.

All in all, I hope you realize that I am not trying to come down on you. Just realize by bad-mouthing programs, regardless if true or not (in my opinion) gets you no where. It raises suspicion, makes you look troll-ish, and remember that you might end up matching at these programs. In my opinion, if you think a program has sketchy didactics for instance, ask: What didactics at program X are like, or how are program X's didactics compared to other programs. Throwing mud gets you no where, and might come back to burn you badly in the end.

Last edited:

That’s cool man. Hey we should put our heads together. Seemslike you’ve done your research. Here’s my number, call if you get a chance.

Nick Johnson
715-897-6312

Members don't see this ad :)

That’s cool man. Hey we should put our heads together. Seemslike you’ve done your research. Here’s my number, call if you get a chance.

Nick Johnson
715-897-6312

You might want to delete your personal info...

This is the craziest thing I've seen in a long time.
It has to be a flame

Wooow. That kid should go on orthogate and read the reviews on how to match. Almost every entry has something about not screwing yourself with comments / being a tool. He is either the most prolific orthopaedic troll in history or missed the day in school where they taught social skills.

Sounds like a resident who is unhappy with his or her program posting as a "friend of a resident who is unhappy with their program".

Sounds like a resident who is unhappy with his or her program posting as a "friend of a resident who is unhappy with their program".

Doubt it for two reasons... One is that the kid left his actual name and phone number on his post (ridiculous), and there is no resident there with that name nor the audacity to post something like that... Secondly, he has posted in various other threads speaking of being a student and wanting to know more info on where to rotate, best programs, etc.

To me it sounds like a misinformed/misguided med student with some shotty info...

Doubt it for two reasons... One is that the kid left his actual name and phone number on his post (ridiculous), and there is no resident there with that name nor the audacity to post something like that... Secondly, he has posted in various other threads speaking of being a student and wanting to know more info on where to rotate, best programs, etc.

To me it sounds like a misinformed/misguided med student with some shotty info...

Maybe he wrote down the name of some guy he despises to screw his chances in the match? Devious, but makes more sense than this.
This is match suicide

Wow. You people are deep thinkers. I don’t think theseprograms form judgments on students based on their student doctor comments. Idoubt most of them even know what this is. I hadn’t even heard of this until afew weeks ago. I think they form their opinions based on a students performanceon rotation, their board scores, their likeability, and their grades. I may ormay not get a spot somewhere, but if I don’t at least I will know that I made well-informed decisions. I haven’t slammedany program that I am looking at anyway. Thanks for the concern though!

Wow. You people are deep thinkers. I don’t think theseprograms form judgments on students based on their student doctor comments. Idoubt most of them even know what this is. I hadn’t even heard of this until afew weeks ago. I think they form their opinions based on a students performanceon rotation, their board scores, their likeability, and their grades. I may ormay not get a spot somewhere, but if I don’t at least I will know that I made well-informed decisions. I haven’t slammedany program that I am looking at anyway. Thanks for the concern though!

Well, Orthodoctfemur for your information, program directors, attendings’, etc, view this site. SDN has been around since late 90's, early 2000. I first logged on this site during undergrad in 2001 and now I’m in my last year of residency. As a matter of fact, some of the med students/residents that mentored me are attending Surgeons and still on this site. So becareful of what you post about programs. (I understand you are asking questions, but still be prudent about it).
Secondly, the DO ortho programs are very well connected to each other. There are program directors and attendings from different programs that are still close buddies since the days of their residency. Hence be careful when you comment about programs to others (students, residents, attendings etc).

BTW, all the stuff you post about the Pinnacle Ortho program is 100% false. I’m not going to sit here and elaborate, but Hanky1982 did a great job telling you details and the great points about Pinnacle’s program. How do I know your comment about pinnacle is false, because I’m currently a chief resident at Pinnacle Health ortho program. (I guess now you know that chief residents, Attendings and program directors are on this site and watching).:eek:

Last but not the least don't be throwing your personal information out there like that. Enough said.

I have a cousin at Pinnacle who raged when I told him about the assertions the OP has made of his program.

After reading the thread, he came to the conclusion that OP is a hardcore gunner. First, he talks bad about a program, and then posts the personal contact information of a classmate to make him look bad to try and hurt his chances at the match. There is no way that anyone could be that ignorant about PDs/residents/attendings perusing these boards, and even if he just learned, why wouldn't he have edited "his" contact info?

Someone should send a text to "Nick Johnson" and see if they are aware of this thread...I'd bet any amount of money they are not. I just hope the real Nick Johnson doesn't get screwed over by this.

Last edited: