Pit Bulls and the UK schools

Started by Laur7114
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Laur7114

Pre-vet
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This question is directed at those students attending vet school in the UK.

I was accepted into Glasgow and deferred enrollment for a year. I have been doing research into bringing my dog over to the UK with me, and I'm aware of the Pit bull ban, but I have been getting conflicting information.

I have read through the laws, and it seems quite clear that no pit bull or pit mixes are permitted in the UK, however, through my work with pro-pit organizations and rescue groups I have come across several UK pit bull owners. I've tried to contact them and gain more info, but have not heard any responses.

To those of you living in the UK and going to UK vet schools, do any of you know of anyone that owns a pit legally? Or maybe know of someone that has successfully brought their pit or pit-mix with them to vet school?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
 
The pit bull ban is correct...and in Glasgow I know of no one with a "true" pit bull. I say true because walking down the street there are many dogs who you would swear are...I think the way they get around it is by saying they are Staffies or other types of bull breeds.

I'm not sure how accurate this is anymore, but England in 1991 created The Dangerous Dogs Act which allows pit bulls but:

They must be neutered.
They must be insured.
They must be muzzled and kept on a lead in public.
They must be microchipped.
They must be registered.

I am also not sure if this applies specifically to the American Pit Bull or all the bull breeds in general...the goal was for the breed to be phased out of the country all together...


Best of luck trying to get your little one over...I wish I could offer better advice!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've definitley already considered claiming he is a "___"-mix, but I've just heard so many horror stories about friendly family dogs being confiscated and euthanized because of a visible pitty-like trait.

These could be false, I just thought maybe someone living over there right now would be able to fill me in on what they have experienced/witnessed.

thanks.
 
Well, I have friends in Northern Scotland (waaaaay up in Sutherland) who have a Staffie. She is about as Pitty as can be. Wonderful with people, but can be dog aggressive, so she is walked with a muzzle and there are no problems. They've had her for at least 12 years. Not super helpful, and I would think in a rural area like their's the law is probably less well-enforced.
 
I think it may be more difficult exporting them in from the US then maybe buying or adopting somewhere in the UK and driving them to Scotland. They are fairly explicit in the PETS scheme on Pitts, Pitt mixes and the like. I think it stinks, but i am not sure i would be willing to take the chance and i'm not sure if there is a legitimate way to deal with it if you have to pass through customs. Good luck though, i am sorry you have to deal with this.