Pitt EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm strongly considering EM. I've heard some good things about the EM residency program at Pitt (UPMC). Can anyone offer their opinions on that program? i.e. how good is it? how competitive is this particular program to get into? Is it one of those top programs that cut-off at step 1 230?

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is an excellent program. The residents seem to be very happy. There is a lot of opportunity for research etc... Unfortunately, it is very competitive. I don't know if they have a cut-off per se but all the residents I know seem to be over-achievers (although they are also very friendly and very down to earth).

Thanks, Tonem, for your reply. It's true, I'm a med student at pitt and all the residents at the Presby ED I'm met so far are so incredibly friendly--that's one of the big reasons I'm so attracted to EM in general, because that gave me the impression that the EM culture is generally friendly. But now I'm not sure if that's just at Pitt or everywhere. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Tonem, for your reply. It's true, I'm a med student at pitt and all the residents at the Presby ED I'm met so far are so incredibly friendly--that's one of the big reasons I'm so attracted to EM in general, because that gave me the impression that the EM culture is generally friendly. But now I'm not sure if that's just at Pitt or everywhere. . .

From what I've seen that friendly attitude is pretty wide spread (just check out the responses to the "My view on ER docs" post).

Go Panthers!!!

chicamedica:

I would try and talk to someone in the residency program directly about the competitiveness aspect, which I'm sure is quite high. Residents are usually pretty forthcoming about what it takes to get into the program.