Pitt Interview Invite w/secondary STATS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend got an invite at Pitt, an out of stater who didn't have that big of deal stats. a 10v, 13p, 10b, S, and 3.82 overall (3.83 sci, 3.80 non sci).

Although those are good stats, no doubt, are they really worth an interview invite before the secondary? Anyone else get invites with stats like that, or lower?

Could someone with stats like that have a chance at Harvard/Johns Hopkins/UofPenn?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say those are great stats. i dont know pitts policy but at least for the 2001-2002 cycle those stats are well above for average matriculants to med school. of course numbers are only part of the game, but it wouldn't be a waste to see what happens at those top flight schools imho.

from what i've seen (n=9) the threshold mcat score is a 33 - and the gpa is a 3.8. they probably have a simple formula for this stuff eh? dunno what it is though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got that invite with a 33. 13v 9p 11b. GPA is only 3.73. I probably just made the cut-off.

Octopus, how long after you received the email saying that they want you to fill out the secondary, di they let you know you had an invite? Was it through email or snailmail. I have similar stats and I got the email for the secondaries.
hmmmm

Originally posted by kreno
My friend got an invite at Pitt, an out of stater who didn't have that big of deal stats. a 10v, 13p, 10b, S, and 3.82 overall (3.83 sci, 3.80 non sci).

Although those are good stats, no doubt, are they really worth an interview invite before the secondary? Anyone else get invites with stats like that, or lower?

Could someone with stats like that have a chance at Harvard/Johns Hopkins/UofPenn?

are you being serious? Of course they would! Remember those little numbers you see in the MSAR and US News are the a-v-e-r-a-g-e-s, NOT the minimums. A school with a 34, 3.8 average accepts roughly 50% of it students with numbers BELOW that. Granted, those students did impressive things out of the classroom, but it's not all that uncommon. Good luck to all of you on your interviews. ANd remember to tell them how much you LOVE their school ;)

I just wanted to clear something stated above about averages. When a school gives an average we have no idea of knowing what type of distribution it is, there is no guarantee it is a Normal Distribution, so when given averages, there could easily be skewing in one direction or the other. Recall that " Median" is what tells us that 50% is below or above that number, not the average.
better get to work on that Pitt secondary,peace
H

and check out my webpage, look how sucky it is

Adding some fuel to the numbers debate regarding Pitt....

VR: 12 P: 13 W: S B: 10

CUG BCPM: 3.63

CUG Total: 3.17 (featuring a quarter of straight C+s!)

I don't think I make any pure mathematical cutoffs for an interview without submitting the secondary....but I'll be there in September. I'm sure they must at least read over the applications a little bit first.

Also received a similar half-completed-application interview invite to Vanderbilt.

this person's stats are very very good, and i am sure that as you all go through this process you will realize that it takes a lot more than just stats to get into medical school. perhaps this person had very good ECs, leadership qualities, and an excellent personal statement.

when i first started out applying i thought it was really all about numbers, but as i went through it i realized that if your numbers are not absolutely kick ass you can still get into very good schools if you have other aspects of your application that are stellar.