Pitt Med vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightshade

Reaction score
Hi All! We had a similar thread recently but I wanted to get into the nitty gritty of the two schools I'm debating between right now. Any and all insight is welcome :) For reference, both of these schools are OOS for me (from California) and I am interested in Dermatology.

Case Western
Pros
  • Clearly made intentional efforts to support student well-being (friendly "Dream Team", specialized acceptance notification, decorated portal)
  • My student interviewer was extremely nice and said Case's highlight was how much they care for students/how happy students were
  • Great match list (7+) for dermatology
  • Low cost of living in Cleveland
  • Ranked #25ish right now
  • Rotations Cleveland Clinic
  • P/F curriculum
  • You can do whatever you want on Flex days
Cons
  • Not sure how safe I would feel living in Cleveland
  • Not used to cold, snow weather (same for UPitt, though)
  • Not a fan of the mandatory 8am-12pm Case Based Learning
  • Would need a car
  • Tuition ~70k
  • I don't have any friends/family that live in Ohio

Pitt Med
Pros
  • Emphasis here as well on student wellness, but not nearly as much of a priority/showcasing as Case.
  • Student interviewer also nice and said she enjoys living in Pittsburgh
  • Safe city for the most part - no car needed per my interviewers
  • Very highly ranked (~#13) and actively breaking into T10's
  • Rotations at UPMC
  • P/F curriculum
  • #5 in nation for NIH funding! So great research that would be beneficial for Derm

Cons
  • Flex days still have to be productive and fit within predesignated guidelines
  • Lectures are still required from 8am-12pm, but they are given by faculty instead of student group learning for the most part (which I prefer)
  • Not used to cold, snow weather (same as Case)
  • I don't have any friends/family that live in Pennsylvania
  • Tuition ~70k

Summary: Both expensive, both far from home, similar weather - Case is "lesser" ranked with more emphasis on student wellbeing vs. Pitt is higher ranked with lesser emphasis on student wellbeing. They're so similar I'm having a really tough time deciding!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats, both great schools and both have tremendous success in matching to top institutions. at this point I feel like it’s choosing between living in Cleveland vs Pittsburgh. I recommend going to Pitts 2nd look day on april 12th and whenever Case has theirs to really get the vibes in person. Pitt probably has a lot more going for it as a city and I’ll probably end up going there so we can besties forever ❤️

Reactions: 1 user