This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which college should I choose for pre-pharmacy?

• University of Pittsburgh

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Duquesne University

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Future Pharmacy Student

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in high school and I was accepted to both Duquesne University and the University of Pittsburgh's pre-pharmacy programs. My acceptance to the University of Pittsburgh pharmacy school is not conditional, and therefore I will have to compete for a spot in the pharmacy school (they only accept about 50 non-conditional students). On the other hand, I am automatically accepted into Duquesne's pharmacy program as long as I maintain a certain GPA and get decent PCAT scores. Duquesne is slightly more expensive even with financial aid, and Pitt has higher rankings nationally. I'm not sure if I should take a chance of not getting into Pitt's pharmacy school or save myself the extra stress by going to Duquesne. If anyone has any insights or recommendations on which school to attend and why it would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would go towards the Duquesne route, reputations can change over time..

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a huge advantage to being a Pitt undergrad and gaining admission into the Pitt Pharmacy school, regardless of having Conditional Acceptance status.

Here's some numbers from the Pitt Pharmacy Annual Report (http://www.pages.pharmacy.pitt.edu/.../2014/10/1CompressedAnnualReport_20132014.pdf):

Admission Year Conditional Pitt Undergrad Other Schools
2010 - 109 Students - Conditional=47 Pitt undergrad=51 Other schools=11
2011 - 107 Students - Conditional=49 Pitt undergrad=44 Other schools=14
2012 - 112 Students - Conditional=54 Pitt undergrad=46 Other schools=12
2013 - 112 Students - Conditional=45 Pitt undergrad=50 Other schools=17
2014 - 113 Students - Conditional=43 Pitt undergrad=46 Other schools=24

Although the number of PharmD students coming from outside of the Pitt program is steadily increasing, it's still very heavily weighted in favor of Pitt undergrads.