docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
Could you guys please let me know of anything you may know about Indiana and or Pitt.? I need to decide which one is a better school to go to soon. Any feedback is appreciated.
thanks.
 

J2AZ

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
393
0
Status
Neon Black said:
What state are you from docs?

I loved Pitt when I visited but from what I hear they have a difficult time getting patients (most schools do). I do not know about Indiana but since no one has mentioned a lack of patients they probably have enough to go around. Based on this I would go to Indiana.
 

selina

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
3
0
Status
docs said:
Could you guys please let me know of anything you may know about Indiana and or Pitt.? I need to decide which one is a better school to go to soon. Any feedback is appreciated.
thanks.
Hi docs, when do u receive U Pitt's acceptance?
When is ur deadline to give U Pitt response? :idea:
 

DIRTIE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
409
0
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
J2AZ said:
I loved Pitt when I visited but from what I hear they have a difficult time getting patients (most schools do). I do not know about Indiana but since no one has mentioned a lack of patients they probably have enough to go around. Based on this I would go to Indiana.

Go to which ever one will cost you less money in the end!
 

Neon Black

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2002
85
0
Beyond Within
Visit site
Status
Female said:
I disagree. I'd rather pay a little more money for a higher quality education and experience.
I think the difference between the two is neglibible, as with a lot of dental schools I'm sure. Both will give a solid education and a great foundation in Clinical. They're big enough cities to get a good mix in patients.

That's why I asked where docs was from, to just go to the closer school and try to save some money that way.
 

DDS2BE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
870
1
39
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
I’ve heard students at U of Pitt don’t get enough patients to graduate on time. This might not be accurate.

Indiana school practices PBL, problem based learning and some students are experiencing lots of difficulties with the educational approach.
 

wammmy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
154
0
Cleveland
Status
Indiana is a hole, :scared: , even if that had been my only acceptance I would not have gone there. I'd have just waited till next year. Operatories in the halls and labs in the dungeon/basement, and while I was there, students came right out and told me how cut-throat it was, lots of gunners.
Go to pitt!
 
L

lunguv

wammmy said:
Indiana is a hole, :scared: , even if that had been my only acceptance I would not have gone there. I'd have just waited till next year. Operatories in the halls and labs in the dungeon/basement, and while I was there, students came right out and told me how cut-throat it was, lots of gunners.
Go to pitt!
Umm I don't know about all of that. Every school has its own gunners; I would say that schools with higher GPA's and DAT scores probably have more gunners than IU. My friend is a first year there and she said that although there are gunners there are also plenty of people who really just want to pass and have some fun while they are in dental school. So I am not sure if it as cut-throat as you make it out to be.
 

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
392
0
36
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
I can't say anything about Pitt since I didn't interview there.

I had a great time on my visit to Indy. The town had a historic feel, and the students and faculty were very friendly to me during my interview at the school. :) The cost of living there is cheap. I didn't think the facilities were as bad as some have pointed out. They are not state of the art, but are by no means complete trash. The equipment serves its purpose and students are able to graduate with competence.

If you are not a resident of either state, IU would be cheaper for you.

http://www.dental.pitt.edu/students/stu_finaid_budget.html
http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/depts/edu/sa/DDStuition.htm

You should go to the school where you felt the most comfortable. Trust your gut instinct. Only you can really know what school is best for you.

good luck! :p
 
OP
D

docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
Thanks everyone for the responces. I am from Oregon. I got a good feeling at both Pitt. and IU. I like to go to a place that has good oppurtunities in research and externships as well. I'm interested in the OMSF residency program. Any other comments are appreciated.
thanks.
 
OP
D

docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
interesting comments.
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
wammmy said:
Indiana is a hole, :scared: , even if that had been my only acceptance I would not have gone there. I'd have just waited till next year. Operatories in the halls and labs in the dungeon/basement, and while I was there, students came right out and told me how cut-throat it was, lots of gunners.
Go to pitt!
Hold on--so we've got someone from a cosmopolitan hub like Utah criticizing Indianapolis after apparently choosing to attend school in Cleveland?

Operatories in the halls? Wrong again. I won't even pretend to think I know what you're talking about on that one.

And gunners? In some classes more, in some fewer. Each class eventually develops a personality of its own, and some are more laid back than others. It's a characteristic of each class, not of the school.

But, hey, I've heard from several people that Case is a good school, and I hope it works out well for you. Just don't go swimming in the lake.
 

wammmy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
154
0
Cleveland
Status
aphistis said:
Hold on--so we've got someone from a cosmopolitan hub like Utah criticizing Indianapolis after apparently choosing to attend school in Cleveland?

Operatories in the halls? Wrong again. I won't even pretend to think I know what you're talking about on that one.

And gunners? In some classes more, in some fewer. Each class eventually develops a personality of its own, and some are more laid back than others. It's a characteristic of each class, not of the school.

But, hey, I've heard from several people that Case is a good school, and I hope it works out well for you. Just don't go swimming in the lake.
I didn't say anything bad about Indianapolis, fact is I loved the city, best place I visited. And I've only been in Utah for about the last five years not my first choice of places to live.

And as for the gunners, I'm only going of what I had several students tell me. It just doesn't seem good to me when people from the school/ class start baggin on there own.

And of course this is just how I felt, I'm sure someone has had a poor experience at just about every school out there. :)
 
OP
D

docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
interesting comments.
 
OP
D

docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
thanks guys, keep it coming with the comments...