Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PITT or UINDY?

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by soccer31, Dec 22, 2008.

1. soccer31

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi everybody! I found out that I got accepted to both University of Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, but I am really having a hard time to decide where to go!!! PITT seems to be a better program and clinical, but UINDY has a good reputation as well as far as I know. The other fact is that I am thinking about going into research latter on, and PITT is famous for it as well. The pros for UINDY would be about 15 to 20K less... Any thoughts on that? Has anyone here gone or know someone from either of these programs that can give their true thoughts about it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jbizzle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Congratulations man!!!!!!!! Go to Indianapolis then go to Pitt for your research later on! Man how simple was that? For real, good job man!

If I was choosing, I would choose who has a better basketball team.

4. Elbrus

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    I vote Pitt, hands down. Congrats!

5. PTapp

PTapp DPT
    2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    Congratz!!!

Let me tell you something. On top of being ranked #2 in the nation, you would actually get paid when you do your clinicals if you go to Pitt. I would take Pitt oover any other Pt school out there.

6. Akiramay

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Congrats! I agree that you should choose PITT, mainly because you want to do the research and it's a good school. Good luck with your choice!

7. callmecrazy

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    I can only comment on the Pitt research aspect; I've been working in research there for the two years since finishing undergrad. In my experience, I would say that being a former Pitt student doesn't mean a lot when landing a research position there. Being an expert in your area of interest is what will get you in. For example, all of the postdocs I've worked with are from the other side of the country and the other side of the world. If you are only looking at research further along in your career, I would suggest going to whichever school you think you can succeed at for the next 3 years. The success you have in your career after school is going to mean more than anything when it comes to research later on (that, and "connections"). If you are looking to do research while in DPT school, however, I'd say Pitt has a lot to offer if you can land an opportunity there (the staff tuition benefits are helpful too!).

On a side note- I'm jealous that you've heard from Pitt, hah. If you don't mind me asking; when were you compete, and when did you hear a decision? I am sitting on another acceptance but was hoping to hear from Pitt before the other school's decision date.

8. soccer31

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    thanks for the help! It helps a lot to hear what others have to say...
    I completed my application with them mid-october and I believe that PTCAS mailed it to them first week of November. I heard back from them with the admission decision December 17th if I am not wrong...
    Now, what do you mean by "staff tuition benefits"? Is that the scholarship they give to each student on the 3rd year?

9. callmecrazy

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    The staff tuition benefits are different than the 3rd year internship. If you take a part-time position as a research technician, you are considered a university staff member. Based on that, you will receive tuition staff benefits that equate to a certain percentage off of your first 6-8 credits each semester (after you've been working there for 6 months). The online info isn't terribly helpful (http://www.hr.pitt.edu/benefits/education.htm#4), but there is a phone number there.If you're concerned about financing your DPT degree (and who isn't?), and you think you can handle a part time job on top of school, it's worth a look. With a bachelors and no research experience, you're generally qualified for any ResearchII position, and if you have 2 years or more in research, you're generally qualified for ResearchIII. www.pittsource.com has alll the job listings.

10. soccer31

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    thats interesting, I will def take a look on it.... just out of curiosity, have you been working there already?

11. callmecrazy

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    I have; I've been there for about 2 years, since finishing my undergrad. My research isn't in the PT field specifically, but it's been good experience.

12. ericdopt

ericdopt Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PITT grad here. I loved the program. I would highly recommend it. Great education and reputation. But, like some other people have said, you go where you feel comfortable. A PT degree from accredited BFE University still makes you a PT. No one will ask where you graduated from or what your GPA was or what your board scores were. They'll just want to know if you can do the work. If you can get the same degree for 20K less, then that is hard to beat. A school's reputation/ranking doesn't pay the bills at the end of the day.