Pitt vs. Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I find myself in a very fortunate situation where I am trying to decide between the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Rochester for med school.

I had incredible experiences at both schools on interview day and I am having a hard time choosing one over the other. I am hoping some insight that some of you guys may have about these schools will help me in making my decision.

Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of clinical rotations at either school for the students?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I find myself in a very fortunate situation where I am trying to decide between the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Rochester for med school.

I had incredible experiences at both schools on interview day and I am having a hard time choosing one over the other. I am hoping some insight that some of you guys may have about these schools will help me in making my decision.

Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of clinical rotations at either school for the students?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The first Pitt vs. XXXX of this cycle has started. Last year there were a BILLION of these, which is probably why Pitt is accepting less people this year...

Pick Pitt. It is awesome!

The first Pitt vs. XXXX of this cycle has started. Last year there were a BILLION of these, which is probably why Pitt is accepting less people this year...

Pick Pitt. It is awesome!

My favorite is the annual "Pitt vs Harvard" thread, which always cracks me up, and the standard, "Go with the best fit" answer. Actually, the "Go with the lowest debt and ditch your significant other" answer usually makes more sense. Frankly, the Harvard-Yale football game has become meaningless, other than the tailgating and great champagne and lobster in the parking lot before kick off. And most people never show up for the game, just keep on tailgating. Pitt and Rochester are both fine schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite is the annual "Pitt vs Harvard" thread, which always cracks me up, and the standard, "Go with the best fit" answer. Actually, the "Go with the lowest debt and ditch your significant other" answer usually makes more sense. Frankly, the Harvard-Yale football game has become meaningless, other than the tailgating and great champagne and lobster in the parking lot before kick off. And most people never show up for the game, just keep on tailgating. Pitt and Rochester are both fine schools.

:confused:

To the OP, I know nothing about Rochester, but you can't go wrong w/ Pitt - UPMC is incredible, and I think you'd get an amazing clinical education there.

Ok to start I don't think you should base your descision of med schools off the wisdom of the internets...but:

I think Pitt is higher ranked thar UR (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but I have to agree with searun, go where ever will put you in less debt! I'm an undergrad at UR and all I have to say is if you come here I hope you love cold overcast days and salt on all your clothes....

same thing here... If I were in your shoes I would go with Pitt.

UPMC is remarkable and the clinical rotations are second to none. The weather in Rochester is really harsh. I want to go to Rochester so I wouldn't mind you opening up a spot, haha. Pitt is my vote.

This is my dream dilemna! I am so jealous. I would have to say Pitt though.

The weather in Rochester has a stigma of cold, wet, overcast, snowy, terrible, blah blah blah. It's seriously not that bad, especially if you've experienced northern weather in general. I wouldn't let weather be your determining factor, OP.

I only interviewed at Pitt (withdrew from Rochester before my interview) so I can only give you a biased opinion. I was really impressed with Pitt overall. The hospital system was amazing. The kids seemed stimulated and content. The research opportunities seemed plentiful. I'm sure people who've interviewed at Rochester can say the same about its medical school. Both cities seem pretty crappy (personal opinion here!)...or I guess to put it nicely "up and coming." You can't go wrong with either place; they are phenomenal schools with strong reputations (congrats!). I'd let money and second look experiences be big factors in your decision.

Both are wonderful schools and as someone who interviewed at both, I have to say that Rochester for me was the sleeper hit of the interview trail. I got a better vibe and general feeling from Rochester then I did from Pitt so I can definitely see why this would be a difficult decision. Yes, Pitt is slightly better ranked but it's definitely important to take other things into account!

(Full disclosure: I have been accepted to Rochester but am waitlisted at Pitt)

Good luck on your decision!

Obviously I'm biased since I go to Rochester... but PM me if you want to ask specific questions!

Congrats on the great dilemma! Just as an anecdote, one of my best friends in the class chose Rochester over Pitt and she is very happy with her decision :thumbup:

Pitt, easily.

Why? I'm curious to know why you feel that way.

I am in a similar situation as the OP and I am weighing my options as well. I get the impression that many people just do not know very much about the University of Rochester. Perhaps it is because of UR's location in Western NY which is not exactly a hotspot.

I got the impression that UR is a terrific school. Flat out terrific. Small class size, great facilities, incredibly supportive administration and close knit classes.

Pitt was excellent as well. I think Pitt's strength is that it offers so much opportunity to a medical student studying there. When I visited Pitt, I got the impression that not even 4 clones of myself could take advantage of all the opportunities that would be afforded to me as a student. Students have these opportunities because Pitt is affilitated with the giant that is UPMC.

So, in short, I don't know how to pick either. Perhaps, OP, if you have an interest in a certain specialty or field, you could try to find out how productive that department is at each school.

Last edited:

I am in a similar situation as the OP and I am weighing my options as well. I get the impression that many people just do not know very much about the University of Rochester. Perhaps it is because of UR's location in Western NY which is not exactly a hotspot.

I got the impression that UR is a terrific school. Flat out terrific. Small class size, great facilities, incredibly supportive administration and close knit classes.

Pitt was excellent as well. I think what Pitt's strength is that it offers so much opportunity to a medical student studying there. When I visited Pitt, I got the impression that not even 4 clones of myself could take advantage of all the opportunities that would be afforded to me as a student. Students have these opportunities because Pitt is affilitated with the giant that is UPMC.

So, in short, I don't know how to pick either. Perhaps, OP, if you have an interest in a certain specialty or field, you could try to find out how productive that department is at each school.

I think this is why so many people are saying Pitt.

I don't know anything about Rochester, but I can definitely say that there lots of opportunities here at Pitt. I couldn't be happier with my decision to come here. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Pitt was excellent as well. I think what Pitt's strength is that it offers so much opportunity to a medical student studying there. When I visited Pitt, I got the impression that not even 4 clones of myself could take advantage of all the opportunities that would be afforded to me as a student. Students have these opportunities because Pitt is affilitated with the giant that is UPMC.

Being a student at Pitt, I completely agree with that. It's not just the UPMC giant, it's also the crazy amount of research being done here that brings in people from so many different institutions (for those into research, we just made #5 for NIH funding and the new research tower opened in November). It's definitely a plus since you can be involved with pretty much anything that you want. If there is something that interests you that you don't see here (e.g. you have an interest in developing a new group or AOC or set up a Spring Break or summer or elective rotation trip to a particular location where there isn't an established program), the administration will be supportive of it and help you get into contact with a number of people to help acheive your goals. And with that, there is never a shortage of people in clinic or research that you wouldn't have a problem finding someone that has a contact to help you with whatever you want.

You can PM me with any particulars about Pitt as well.

I really loved rochester at my interview, I think its hard to realize how nice the school is without a visit. Didnt interview at pitt but I think rochester is uber warm (not temperature wise) & friendly and has an amazing atmosphere/culture.... Im not sure if im going there but it is strongly in the running.

I really loved rochester at my interview, I think its hard to realize how nice the school is without a visit. Didnt interview at pitt but I think rochester is uber warm (not temperature wise) & friendly and has an amazing atmosphere/culture.... Im not sure if im going there but it is strongly in the running.

Agreed... I know I was blown away when I interviewed here in Rochester last year having known nothing beforehand. I am surrounded by the nicest and most caring people I have ever known and surrounded by more opportunities than I could ask for.

Cheasus, I hope you come here too!

Dear OP,

As stated many times previous, both are fine schools, and fairly closely matched- you are not comparing apples to oranges, but granny smiths to red deliciouses. Just depends what you like. If you can give us more info on particular fields you might be interested in, or interests outside of biomedicine like research, public health, etc., we might be better posed to determine what's a good fit for you.

Last edited: